Exhaust manifold woes.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb02
My Cars:

Exhaust manifold woes.

Post by gjb02 »

I'm currently doing the rather tedious job of removing the head on my ZX 16v. Problem is I've only managed to get one of the downpipe bolt/spring/washer/nut assemblys off. The manifold to head bolts are nigh on impossible to see let alone undo. So i'm left trying to figure out how best to undo the second bolt, any ideas....it's a git??[B)]
Haynes book-o-lies gave all of 3 paragraphs to a job thats taken me a day and a half. Simply remove etc, refitting is a simple reversal of removal.....B*****ks!!!
I've never had to undo so many things in my life!!! Just hope I remember where they all go[:D]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

If it's anything like my Xantia TD, take the inlet manifold off first ( asuming it's at the back ! ). The exhaust manifold on my Xantia is secured by studs, so use another nut on the bolt, and tighten the two together, and use the inner one to undo the stud.
eg. ==||==== where | is a nut, and ======= is the stud.
As long as you unbolt the manifold from the head, I think it can be left in place attached to the exhaust. I have the opposite problem to you, in that one of the bolts continuously rattles against the exhaust ( loose for some reason, although everything is there ), and it would be the right hand side ( where access is limited ), wouldn't it !
Having done it once, I would say you could get the inlet and exhaust manifold off the Xantia TD in around 2 hours.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I see what you're getting at there. But I don't think it will work, I had a feel around the manifold to see where the studs/nuts where, and some of them are recessed. I couldn't even feel the underside ones. (lack of access) I'll have to leave the manifold in place and try to disconnect the downpipe. As I said earlier I've managed one bolt but can't get access to the other. It doesn't look like it will be any easier from underneath either!!
I managed the exhaust manifold on my ZX TD last year with no problems, (the head was cracked on that) so understandably, I'm miffed.[:(!]
TD is like triggers' broom....174,000miles...two heads, 20 Tyres, three exhaust systems[:D]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

As we never got the ZX out here, I'm only guessing on this but I think I can relate to it via the BX16V.
On that basis, you've got two options; treat it as you would a cambelt change (ie) jack or sling on the motor, radiator out & remove top engine mount and move the engine upwards & forwards, or alternatively, depending in the amount of space which hopefully is improved once it's up & forward, cut the exhaust flange bolts using either an angle grinder or a pair of bolt cutters and remove the manifold with the head.
Hope that helps point you in the right direction
Alan S