Friday the 13th 306 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Friday the 13th 306 hdi

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Hello my 306 hdi for a while it's felt like it needed an engine mount. So been driving smoother when letting of the pedal and same when putting my foot down. I was going to get this sorted out after the new year. But part from this there was a creak on the passenger side going over a speed bump. So just thought a bush or dry shock for example.

I went in to the garage so they could have a look to see which engine mount and the bush. So anyway they had a look and couldn't see any engine mount problem. The car went for a drive then up on the ramps. We had a look underneath and I was shocked to fine a few other things. The power steering ram got a slight leak so will need changing and the steering rack gaiter passenger side gone no good.

The big long anti roll bar moving about and tutching under the car that's what the creak was going over humps. Then the wheels could be pushed back and forward when parked up lower arms or p bush or change the lot.

Lower arms £80 each = £160
Anti roll bar £220 + vat = £240
Steering ram £234 + vat = 240
Steering gaiters £65 each = 130

Then fitting the parts £330 to £400.

It was all a bit of a shock for Friday the 13th the £1000 shock lol

But apart from all this the car been running great no problems but now just thinking what to do.
Welshy_Pete

Re: Friday the 13th 306 hdi

Post by Welshy_Pete »

I was thinking of changing the hole steering rack one with good gaiters on and steering ram that not leaking with a cover. I think that would save messing around changing the 2 gaiters and steering ram?

The anti roll bar save taking the hole thing out from what I remember there just rubber bushes I didn't see the mount clamps there. So I change the bushes and mount clamp to sort the anti roll bar?

The lower arms the ball joints are both fine. But the P bush must be gone but sure about the other round one. So thinking what to do I know peugeot partner and berlingo have better P bushes?

Do the lower arms fit of them to?

I could save a lot of money doing the jobs my self also sourcing the parts as well. It's the only way as its not worth spending Friday the 13th £1000 lol
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'd take it somewhere else for a second opinion. I'm not sure how an anti-roll bar can break. I know the bushes can fail and allow it to move, but the bar is essentially a metal rod. I'm not sure I've ever seen one fail.
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Northern_Mike wrote:I'd take it somewhere else for a second opinion. I'm not sure how an anti-roll bar can break. I know the bushes can fail and allow it to move, but the bar is essentially a metal rod. I'm not sure I've ever seen one fail.
The anti roll bar still in place but the rubber mounts are just there with metal mount around the rubber bushes.
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

I had a good look under the car today.

The anti roll bar is solid no problem there. I can see where it's been tutching on each side but no damage at all. So I just change the 2 bushes and mount on them along with the drop links?

Which drop links are best plastic or metal also what makes?

The P bushes are both shot nothing left on them all most. So these need changing but the ball joins are fine but cant tell about the other bush as cant see them very well.

The gaiters and ram will need sorting for sure. There it a tool or stud removal to get that stud of the ram anybody know the right one?

The garage is making things out to be far worse then what they are shocking.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yeah I'm sure you can just fit new ARB bushes and drop links. Not sure about the gaiters but I doubt they are expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk