Engine removal of ZX TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

Engine removal of ZX TD

Post by louis1 »

How do you remove the engine out of the car and how easy is it?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Not difficult with the right clobber, that being an engine crane and a load leveling bar, the engine comes out with the box attached and it has to be tilted at a steep angle to clear the bodywork, thats where the leveler comes in, just by cranking a handle it moves the lifting position and tilts (or levels) the load.
You could of course take the box off first and get a straight lift on the engine but that will about double the time it takes to remove them both together.
Mine came from machine mart, about forty quid IIRC.
Dave
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

i have the right clobber so how many hours do you think it will take me and what is involved in such a job?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Going steady a ZX td takes me about two hours, whats involved well all this really[:D]
First loosen the offside hub nut then jack the front up and get it on stands, drop the water and gearbox oil, undo the exhaust from the manifold, unbolt the lower engine mount transverse link, pop the gear selector rods off using an open ended spanner, loosen and rotate through at least 90 degrees the r/h driveshaft bearing retaining bolts (or remove them all together if you aren't familiar with them), unplug the wiring or (depending on type) remove the cable from the speedo drive, undo the power steering pipe clips under the engine, remove but leave piped up and hanging on wire or string the power steering pump, unclip the clutch cable and pull it clear.
Drop the nearside lower ball joint and disconect the track control arm, apply full right hand lock to the steering and pull the leg outwards and withdraw the driveshaft from the diff, it is not necessary to seperate the drive shaft from the hub on this side.
Drop the offside lower ball joint and disconnect the track control arm, remove the hub nut and swing the leg out and off the driveshaft, pull the driveshaft from the diff, if you can't undo the hub nut you can unclip the inboard joint rubber gaitor and seperate the shaft here, but beware the rollers don't come off their yolk's as each one has some thirty odd needle rollers within.
Remove the battery (negative cable first) and its tray, remove the air ducting, remove bottom hose, top hose, radiator electric cables and unclip the rad and lift it out, unclip and unplug the hoses to the heater matrix and recover their o rings, don't forget that new ones will be required, remove the brake vacuum hose from the pump and disconnect the EGR valve if fitted.
Remove the throttle cable, remove the intercooler and pack some wrag in the manifold air intake and turbo outlet pipe, unclip the fuel supply and return pipes and free them from the engine, remove the two earth leads from the gearbox and the + leads from the starter and alternator, unplug the remaining wiring from the fuel pump and oil pressure switch, temp senders etc.
Check for any other connections not mentioned here.
Fix the lifting aperatus to the lifting eyes at each end of the head paying attention to where the bulk of the weight is and take the strain, partially remove the nuts from the gearbox mounting and the r/h engine mount and adjust the load leveler so the engine and box are in ballance, then remove the entire gearbox mounting bracket from the inner wing and remove the right hand engine mounting, the lift can now begin.
Start by lifting untill the box comes up against the chassis and then wind the leveler along to lower that end again, keep going in that fashion untill it will clear then lift it all the way up and out.
The engine also needs to be at an angle in the bay so pull it forwards slightly at the belt end, keep a close eye on anything that can get caught up as the lift progresses.
Dave