hydractive 2 on xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

hydractive 2 on xantia

Post by jacksun1987 »

Prob bee asked this question many times. What is the difference between hydractive 2 and normal suspension?. Hw reliable are they? Is it the same as the activia one. How many Spheres are on the car. What Spheres should i get for the car.

Picking up the new car tomorrow. It does need some new Spheres on the front.
Exclusive Estate 99 2 liter hdi

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =7&t=46872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: hydractive 2 on xantia

Post by Xaccers »

LX/SX/Forte/Desire have non-hydractive with 6 spheres. 2 accumulators (1 front, 1 back) and 4 corner spheres.

VSX/Exclusive have hydractive with 8 spheres. 2 accumulators (1 front, 1 back), 4 corner spheres that are harder than non-hydractive spheres, and 2 hydractive soft spheres (1 front, 1 back).
The hydractive spheres have electronically controlled valves which brings them into play or cuts them out. When they're in play, the suspension is lovely and soft. Throw the car around a bit and they are cut out so the suspension becomes firmer.
The diodes they use die and they get stuck in hard mode. The fix is easy though, you just solder in new diodes by the ECU, or fit an ecrofting box that contains the diodes and has snap fix connectors for the ECU wires.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it is hydractive the centre spheres have far more effect on the comfort than the outer ones, so as Xac says if its hard either the hydractive is not working or the centre spheres need replacing.

Peter
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Hi Jacksun
Glad to see you got the exclusive.
Re. the spheres, the anti sink sphere, which is important, is a different fitment to all other spheres. If you just unscrew it as per normal the feed pipe will twist and close up so beware. There's a mass of information on the forum re this.
Something else, from experience, that I would check is the screws in the sunroof for tightness, one was loose on mine when I got it, preventing it working properly and luckily none of the rods had bent yet and all is now fine. On the previous one the motor securing screws had come loose and this completely ruined it, not repairable.
Best of luck with it.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

isisalar wrote:Hi Jacksun
Glad to see you got the exclusive.
Re. the spheres, the anti sink sphere, which is important, is a different fitment to all other spheres. If you just unscrew it as per normal the feed pipe will twist and close up so beware. There's a mass of information on the forum re this.
Something else, from experience, that I would check is the screws in the sunroof for tightness, one was loose on mine when I got it, preventing it working properly and luckily none of the rods had bent yet and all is now fine. On the previous one the motor securing screws had come loose and this completely ruined it, not repairable.
Best of luck with it.
Cheers
Paul
Link to Jim's guide on sphere replacement and more
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Unfortunately (I'd love one!) an Exclusive is not running an Activa suspension system, maybe fortunately for you as it does reduce maintenance.

As said already, the hydractive 2 Xantia has 8 spheres, four corners, two soft, accumulator and anti-sink. Reliability is good but of course you have two more spheres to replace and the dioides which can make the car stick into hard mode.

I really enjoy hydractive Xantias as they suit my driving style better.

I hope it proves a good car for you :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10