Service light.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Service light.

Post by qprdude »

OK, so I didn't really check before I started off, but a couple of miles from home, I noticed the "service" light . I stopped and switched off, then on again to see the "Incorrect oil level" warning. I poured a half litre in and checked the level. It was approximately just below a third of the way from the lower dipstick mark. The light stayed on. I continued into town(12 miles or so) and parked up. Did a bit of shopping while the engine cooled. Checked the level again and it was still the same. I put another half litre in and re-checked. The level was now in the top third of the level marks. Seemed like a big move for such a small addition, but the "Oil Level correct" message came up and the "service" message was gone. I suppose I have done around 3000+ miles since the last service, mixed high speed motorway and local stuff. I'm not concerned, but I would have not have expected to add a litre after 3000 miles.
I will have to keep a close eye on consumption in future.
It's the 2.2 HDI X7
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: Service light.

Post by mooseshaver »

I've seen comments about modern cars needing oil. Sometimes 0.5l for 1000 miles (vw)
My 2.0 hdi does not use any so far.

My 1.6 had an oil breather that fed into the turbo intake and always had oil in it so I guess that's how a car can drink oil?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Isn't it, like, normal, to check/add small amounts of oil regularly? Let's say, on average, 0,1-0,3 dl on 1000 km (depending on the car of course) ... it does get consumed little by little while the engine is running ...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

no, well not with older cars really.. I think...
my hdi uses none at all..

John
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

The thing is, I check the fluid levels about once a week normally, but it's been so bloody cold recently and I haven't used the car much.

I had a 1500 mile trip a few weeks back and checked the oil after the journey. The level was in the bottom third of the dipstick mark, so no cause for concern. When the service light came on, the level was much the same, maybe very slightly lower.

As said, a half litre made little difference, then the rest of the 1 litre cleared the light and reported "Oil Level Correct". Just seemed to be a minimal amount required.

I could understand if the level was below the lower mark but it was not even near. Still, better to have a large safety margin I suppose.

This 2.2l 173 engine never seems to give the slightest hint of smoke from the exhaust.
Rick.

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

jgra1 wrote:no, well not with older cars really.. I think...
my hdi uses none at all..

John
Are you sure ? All the cars I owned made in the 70's and 80's used oil... Enough that I would check the level once a month with the tyres and always have to top it up, and also check it before any long trips. That was in the days of thick 30/40 oil and wide clearances of course.

Both the late 90's Xantia's I've owned, (2 litre petrol and 3 litre petrol) which use modern oils haven't used a drop of oil. Although I check it from time to time it can go a year without requiring any top up. I would say modern cars use less oil in general due to closer clearances...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

qprdude wrote:The thing is, I check the fluid levels about once a week normally, but it's been so bloody cold recently and I haven't used the car much.

I had a 1500 mile trip a few weeks back and checked the oil after the journey. The level was in the bottom third of the dipstick mark, so no cause for concern. When the service light came on, the level was much the same, maybe very slightly lower.

As said, a half litre made little difference, then the rest of the 1 litre cleared the light and reported "Oil Level Correct". Just seemed to be a minimal amount required.

I could understand if the level was below the lower mark but it was not even near. Still, better to have a large safety margin I suppose.
Most likely the level sensor reading is filtered by the ECU to prevent false positives - eg the sump reading from the sensor likely changes significantly with engine rpm as well as cornering - if it was a simple threshold the warning would go off every time you went around a corner.

There will be some amount of delay or gradual averaging, much like a petrol tank level sensor which would also swing around wildly with cornering if it wasn't dramatically low pass filtered.
This 2.2l 173 engine never seems to give the slightest hint of smoke from the exhaust.
Would particulates from oil burning not be caught by the DPF though ? So potentially a DPF would disguise oil burning tendencies of an engine ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Don't know if the DPF would completely stop "blue smoke" but I've seen a few DPF cars (my Saab) letting go with a trail when accelerating hard .

I can't even SMELL oil or diesel from my C5 exhaust. (Might be my old hooter of course!) #-o :oops:

Incidentally, where were you from in NZ? (if it's not a secret)
Rick.