What second hand spares to keep for a C5 2l hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirameuser

What second hand spares to keep for a C5 2l hdi

Post by hirameuser »

And before you post back an extra 2 C5's, I will explain further I live in a village 12 miles from the nearest motor factor or scrap yard and we only get for when 3 buses a week. After fun and games earlier this year when a 2 year old starter motor packed up after the nearest factors had closed for the weekend. I am compiling a list of what to keep close at hand for when something else goes phut! What do you suggest I add to the list below of second hand bits to aquire as they are not common in scapyards around here?

Lexia got this

Starter motor
Alternator
mosfet for heater control = got 3
drivers electric window switch
air mass unit
egr valve
both fuel pumps
spare alloy wheel

What are your suggestions

Cheers

Phil
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: What second hand spares to keep for a C5 2l hdi

Post by jgra1 »

injectors phil
turbot ?
some ecus? BSI..
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

hirameuser wrote:And before you post back an extra 2 C5's, I will explain further I live in a village
Then you may have space for an extra 3 C5s, rather than two, which IMO is not enough.

I'd add a suspension pump, and the fuseboxes/relay bits and pieces that are by the fuseboxes to that lot, turbo induction pipes - the big rubber ones, and a comms 2000 unit.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

As you see the list getting progressively longer, maybe the idea of a 2nd C5 for spares isn't such a bad idea, assuming you've somewhere to keep it.

One problem with keeping a load of spares is that in the end, for all the spares you keep in store, you will probably only use 1 or 2 items. Problem is, you don't know in advance which spares you'll need :(

It's a good insurance though, as it will persuade your C5 to be well behaved and reliable :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The real answer EVERYTHING... as said above you never know when you will need or what bit..

Ive found that if you strip a car and keep everything you wont need it!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The main problem is that whatever parts you stock they are rarely the ones that fail. We live in a similar situation but have two cars so unless they both break down at the same time we are covered. A spare car is certainly the best way, we ran XMs for 15 years or more and I had to chase about for bits for them until my wife wrapped one round a bus shelter, from then on we had an almost complete set of spares. I used to keep a spare CX here when we ran them and that was very useful.

I now get most of my spares from ebay- yes the postman does deliver here, there are usually several listings for the same part so you should be able to find one at a reasonable price. We do have a scrap yard about 10 miles away, he only had one C5 but I just managed to salvage an in tank pump and a steering column (u/j's worn) before it was hauled onto a lorry for scrap. I then realised I also wanted a MAF :cry:

Peter