Xantia HDI 110 Clutch Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hurdsey
My Cars:

Xantia HDI 110 Clutch Problem

Post by Hurdsey »

2001 HDI with 28500 on the clock.
The 'bite' on the clutch has allways been about halfway along the pedal travel, however over the past week or so the pedal seems to be dissapearing from under my foot, the 'bite is now right at the bottom of the travel and after only about 6mm of movement is fully out then there is a load of free play in the pedal.
Is it the cable?
is it the clutch?
can you adjust either of these?
I've been driving for about 35 years (mainly Fords) and only ever needed one clutch, my last car was a ZX1.9TD and i sold it with 48,000 on the clock with no signs of wear, so i know I'm not 'heavy' on clutches, 28,500 sounds a bit soon to be needing a new clutch,
any suggestions? how much approx for a new clutch fitted?
I'm going to phone around later today for comparisons anyway.
BTW
where can i get a workshop manual for one of these as Haynes dont seem to do one.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hurdsey,
The clutch on these is hydraulic so can't be adjusted. It is supposed to be a sealed-for-life unit (master, pipework, and slave all in one), I have however heard reports of them losing fluid. I have also heard reports that there were clutch problems on some of the early ones, whereby the clutch only lasted about 30k, and needed replacing[:(] - the operating mechanism was shot, whilst the friction plate was less than 20% worn. Either way you're probably going to need to get someone in the know to look at it - you could try and establish if it is the clutch or the operating system by looking at the operating end whilst someone else pumps the clutch to see if you think it is getting full movement - of course you have nothing to compare it with!
ISTR that the slave/master arrangement is not cheap, and will doubtless be an arse to fit. If it is the clutch then 'box will need to come out, and you're probably looking at the thick end of £500, even if you avoid the Cit dealer.
I think you can buy a Haynes Book Of Lies for one of the Peugeots (306 / 406?) that covers the HDi engine.
Richard
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

From Honest John
"EU wide problem with clutch of HDIs: release bearings are failing on average at 30K miles and the hydraulic actuators at approx 70K miles. Both cause significant damage (£700 - £1000) to repair. Basically, the clutch assembly "blows-up", though not the actual clutch disc, which can have as little as 20% wear."
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?u ... /index.htm -> Citroen -> Xantia
Hurdsey
My Cars:

Post by Hurdsey »

Cheers guys, I just asked Citroen Manchester 'How much for a new clutch' about £850.00 was the answer, if it is the clutch guess where i wont be getting it done.
thomas
My Cars:

Post by thomas »

I replaced my hdi clutch at about 70k took a weekend with some help to lift the box space is very limited clutch is not release bearing pulls off pressure bearing has to be fitted to fork and then a hook used to pull back the fork and snap bearing to cover fitting instructions can be found on the luk website. your problem sounds more like an hydraulic problem slave cylinder clips into gearbox casing just like a bulb have not removed master cylinder but cannot be worse than old style cable clip.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Is the car not still under warranty? Should be if its a 2001 model, from Oct 2000 all new Citroens came with 3 yrs warranty.
Hurdsey
My Cars:

Post by Hurdsey »

Just a quick update here, the car went in on Monday under warranty(as Blueboy suggests) new clutch assembly fitted, still the same, new master and slave cylinders fitted, just the same, spoke to Citroen last night(thursday) they said they hadnt a clue and it looks like the box will have to come out again, waiting for a call now to update me on progress.
qwerty
My Cars:

Post by qwerty »

I bought my Xantia 110 with 6000, miles on speedo .After about another 3000 miles I found a bad judder on the clutch and took it back to the Citroen dealer where I bought it and they supposidly fitted new clutch but there still seems to be a judder in the clutch but warrenty runs out on 12th December 2003 .Could I still claim under warranty.
Hurdsey
My Cars:

Post by Hurdsey »

Last Update here,
Picked the car up on saturday and everthing is fine,
all done under warranty,
They said they have fitted a new clutch assembly, and the problem was still there, they then fitted a new clutch hydraulic system, and the problem was still there, at this point they were baffled so they took the box out again, couldnt see anything obvious, reassembled it and everything was ok, I've only done 40 miles so far and all seems finem its still under warranty till next January anyway so i will closely monitor it till then.
Thanks for all your replies and support guys.