MOT rules for 806

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterHunter
My Cars:

MOT rules for 806

Post by PeterHunter »

Hi all you MOT experts. I need your advice please.
I have a 2001 806 HDi. I use the car mainly for camping trips (but also for everyday use). I'm on my own so only need one seat for me. So, if I take all the other seats out, and seat belts, will this be ok for the MOT?
Also, I want to fit a single bed along one side, and work units down the other side, with access only via the drivers seat or opening tailgate door. I would therefor like to 'fix' the two sliding doors so that they cannot be opened from the outside or inside. Will this be allowed for the MOT also?
I'm not planning on putting in a raised roof or anything, but up until now I have always used a tent, and now I basically want to make a low budget campervan for one.
Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Regards. Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Re: MOT rules for 806

Post by citronut »

hi Peter

regarding seat/seat belt removal, they can only test seat belts for any seats still fitted at the time of the MOT,
obviously apart from the drivers seat :-D :wink:

as for the doors, they all have to open from inside and out for the MOT test

were in East Sussex are you located
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for this information. I'll have to re-think my design plans then. Or maybe I should just get rid of the 806 before the MOT runs out in June and buy (or swap for) a van?

I live, and work mainly, in Uckfield. But I also work in Haywards heath and Bexhill-on-Sea. Anywhere near you?

Regards, Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

PeterHunter wrote:Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for this information. I'll have to re-think my design plans then. Or maybe I should just get rid of the 806 before the MOT runs out in June and buy (or swap for) a van?

I live, and work mainly, in Uckfield. But I also work in Haywards heath and Bexhill-on-Sea. Anywhere near you?

Regards, Peter
so what variety/year of 806 is it, and if you part with it what sort of dosh would you be looking for, without an MOT???.

my workshop is in St Leonards on sea

pm sent
Regards, malcolm.

PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

It's a 2001 (51 plate) 2L (1997cc) HDi Quicksilver 7 seater in Grey/Silver colour. At the moment it's in reasonable condition and runs well (averages between 40-43 mpg). I've travelled all over Europe in it. It's got just under 180k on the clock. The MOT doesn't run out until June 28th. Both of the sliding does play up. Some times they open easily, other times they won't open unless you use both handles (inside and outside) together. I stripped one of them down once and fixed it, but it's started playing up again. The interior roof lining is rough as I put holes in it trying to find ways of fitting curtains !
I haven't given much thought about selling it as yet as I was hoping I could convert it, but the doors would be a problem. If they have got to be able to open from the inside, then I can't block them with built in units can I? So if I do sell it I'll probably want to do so with MOT. I would much rather just swap it for a small van (without sliding side doors!).
I'll let you know if I decide otherwise. In the mean time, if anyone has a van and want to swap, let me know !!
Thanks for the PM by the way.
Regards, Peter
PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

Having spent quite a lot of time thinking about what to do. I have decided that with 6 months MOT left, I am going to go ahead with the conversion. I'll start off by removing all of the seats (apart from the drivers seat of course) and seat belts and take them to the tip. I haven't got space to store them, so if anyone want's them then please come and collect them for free, but make it soon. I will then start fitting curtains and bed unit. I'll use either lightweight wooden or plastic boxes as storage units, with plywood worktops. That way I'll be able to enjoy a few good holidays.
Once the six months is up, and the MOT is due again, I can then decide whether to spend money on getting it through the test or just sell it for scrap value (I'll give you first choice Malcolm), and buy something else.
One other thought. I would like to remove the front passenger airbag. Any idea how to do that?
Regards, Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Removing it is likely to be problematic, the air bag ECU won't like having it missing. Why not just disable it? There should be a switch somewhere (probably on the side of the dashboard when you open the passenger door) that takes the ignition key to turn it on and off.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

Thanks Xac, that sounds a much better idea. I'll look for that in the morning and do as you suggest.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Peter
rather than hack up a perfectly good 806 :shock: ,

what about a swap with my daughters P reg Synergie to use for you camper project :roll: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

Xac
I've had a look, but I can't find anything for turning the airbag off. There is a pull off-push on cover plate on the side panel near the glove box (hidden when the door shuts), but there isn't anything inside it. The handbook says that the passenger airbag is linked to the drivers airbag so that the two activate at the same time. So not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any other ideas as to where to look for a switch?

Malcolm
I can understand what you are saying, but I can't see how this would benefit me in any way (apart from providing your daughter with a more up to date car, of course!!). It's still the same car, with the same problems and drawbacks. So I think I'll do minimal destruction for now, and see what needs doing to it when it gets nearer to the MOT. I do know that some time in the not too distant future, the front break pads will need replacing, as will a couple of tyres. So I'll have some decisions to make in the new year. If I can fix the sliding doors (I may have to buy some new bits for that), then I may just keep it for a while longer. But either way I've still got six months use of it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

PeterHunter wrote: Malcolm
I can understand what you are saying, but I can't see how this would benefit me in any way (apart from providing your daughter with a more up to date car, of course!!).
#-o #-o #-o worth a try :-D :roll: :wink:

well Peter

i put your original question to my MOT guy yesterday whilst i was there,

he says you only need to be able to open the doors from the inside if there are seats at those doors, and if no seats the doors would only need to open from the outside in respect of checking for rust in prescribed areas "suspension and steering mounting areas",

obviously not seat belt prescribed areas were not seats/belts are fitted,
Regards, malcolm.

PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

Hi Malcolm,

That's really good news. Thank you for finding this out for me. Does this mean then that because there is no suspension or steering in the facility of these doors that they don't have to be opened from the outside either? Or is that just my wishful thinking !!

Cheers, Peter
PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

Thanks Mike. I think I might ask the guys at a local MOT centre in town. We have one here called 'Just MOTs' (I won't tell you why!!). They should know for sure.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

PeterHunter wrote:Hi Malcolm,

Does this mean then that because there is no suspension or steering in the facility of these doors that they don't have to be opened from the outside either? Or is that just my wishful thinking !!

Cheers, Peter

wishful thinking me thinks #-o #-o :wink:

as there can/could well be suspension/sub frame mounts within 30cm circumference of the forward end of the side sliding door/sill area,

so im sure they will need to open the aside doors, at least from the outside
Regards, malcolm.

PeterHunter
My Cars:

Post by PeterHunter »

Drat!