Berlingo - Out of fuel, now won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jono_h

Berlingo - Out of fuel, now won't start

Post by jono_h »

Sorry, me again. After 4 happy years, two problems in as many weeks!

2004 Berlingo van 1.4 79k miles.

I wasn't concerntrating this morning and ran out of petrol. Put a gallon in, but engine wouldn't start. Everything lights up on ignition position 2, but nothing on position 3 (not even a click).
Managed to get it started with a bump start, and got home with the amber engine warning light on. Idled OK on the drive.

Turned it off, and tried to re-start. Turned over OK but wouldn't catch, for three attempts. After that it was the same as previously, everything lights up on ignistion position 2, but nothing on 3.

Any quick and simple ideas, or does it need to go on the diagnostics machine?

Jon.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It'll be something simple, first load check the battery and make sure your terminal clamps are 100%.

Then make sure you can bridge the starter solenoid and it cranks as if the key is turned.

Occasionally, the underbonnet slave panel carks it slightly, the most common failure on a Bingo seems to be wiper faults thereafter, but on some it manifests as a "no crank" situation.

This panel, if at fault, is not coded to the car. You can replace like for like.
BX
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo - Out of fuel, now won't start

Post by BX »

Put in at least 10L of fuel with the ignition OFF. It should then start on the first attempt.
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Addo and BX,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm up and running again, but never really identified an issue.

For reference, in case anyone comes across this thread. I disconnected the battery for 30mins, but this made no difference. I then checked the connections to the starter solenoid, which seemed fine, but after this it started again.
(It's possible a connection was disturbed when they dropped the gearbox to do the clutch)

Engine fault light was still on, but reset itself after 2 days (just an hour after I'd ordered a code reader!)

Jon
jono_h

Post by jono_h »

Right, a final update!

Issue appeared again last night. Followed the steps in the Haynes manual to try starting with the headlights on to see if they dim (Headlights dim - power to starter, possible starter fault; don't dim - no power to starter, power / earth or solenoid fault).

Indicated a power, earth, solenoid fault. Connected jump lead from battery negative to engine, and started. Took out the battery and tray, checked earth connection on gearbox, which was only finger tight. Cleaned up and tightened, back to running.

Thanks, and Happy Christmas!