Oh Dear Poorly Berlingo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Oh Dear Poorly Berlingo

Post by demag »

Well things aren't looking too good just now. The Berlingo is in Citroen with a dodgy turbo which came on very quickly. I knew I should have kept the Xm! :( I got a low oil pressure warning one morning and the engine went to cut out then came back to life just as quick. I spoke to my local garage, they are a couple of excellent lads. One of the partners said from my description it did sound like the turbo. I booked it in to Citroen Colliers in Birmingham and it's been there since last monday. I bought it in July as a Citroen Approved 2nd hand car with 12 months parts and labour warranty and Colliers serviced it and stamped the book before I took delivery. To be fair to Colliers they have been ringing me every day and keeping me updated. But they obviously need authority from Citroen to do the repair. I think Citroen are dragging their feet because this is going to be a big bill and I don't think they want to pay on a 5 year old car. I've only done 3000 miles since I bought it and the most I do each year is about 8000. Colliers have had to remove the sump and email photos of the engine internals to Citroen. That was Friday and I'm now waiting for more info.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Oh Dear Poorly Berlingo

Post by RichardW »

#-o :roll: Unless they fit a new engine, I would be pushing for them to take it back off your hands - the 1.6 rarely does well with a new turbo, by the time the old one is wrecked the engine is full of carbon, and almost impossible to clean = new turbo also goosed in very short order.... pity, as the engine is otherwise pretty good!!
Richard W
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I know Richard. I've read an awful lot of stories where new turbos have lasted 2-3000 miles max. I think that's their dilemma, they don't want to spend on a 5 year old motor hence Citroen looking at engine photos. I think they may be looking for a get out. What's a brand new lump £5k? That's more than the car's worth in their eyes. But if they just fit a turbo it might all go belly up anyway. They haven't been in touch today. Maybe they know something.....
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That is a real shame, I hope they get it sorted out for you, though as you say, a new engine would seem unlikely.

Out of interest, what service plan has your car been on? 20K?

There was ways to help prevent the turbo failure on the 1.6HDi but that is of little use now. In fact, the later 1.6HDis seem to have larger oil feed pipes to the turbo.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Well it was sold to me with history. But when I picked the car up and got home I couldn't find the service book. It took them a few days to locate it and then I noticed it only had part history. So I think they have shot themselves in the foot here. I thought for a car to have Citroen Approved status it had to have full history but I might be wrong. Not thinking anything of it I kept the car, and then this. I have to be honest and say I didn't think the 16hdi was a troublesome engine. I certainly got that wrong. I have read about cars with 20-30k on the clock and fully serviced failing. I'm half hoping they offer me a different car. The Berlingo is so useful but it appears it can also be fragile as well. I don't remember hearing about these sort of problems with the old XUD. They seemed to clock up enormous miles.
Dave
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The problem is the oil feed pipes to the turbo are tiny, to add to that they have put a gauze in the connection which collects dirt in the oil and further restricts oil flow. Taking out the gauze and giving regular (6-8K) services with the correct oil, should make it a very reliable unit.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Ah thanks Chris. I knew about the gauze but I hear all this talk about the engine getting lots of carbon due to wrong oil use. Should be low ash or SAPS shouldn't it? I get serviced once a year anyway so normally 8-9k but I could easily make that twice a year spring and autumn. I was getting 45mph round town but that quickly dropped to 39 when the turbo problem cropped up so I knew something wasn't quite right.
Dave
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Lighty will give you the straight dope on optimising turbo life. I don't think he's had a single comeback yet.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I finally had a reply from Colliers today. Citroen are refusng to authorise the repair. Reason was incomplete service history. So it sits in their workshop in bits. Colliers General Manager is ringing me tomorrow (so they say). In the meantime I will contact Citizens Advice with a view to Small Claims Court if nothing is resolved. If they sell a car as an Approved Citroen used car with 12 months parts and labour warranty and then think they can wash their hands of it when something goes wrong they have a shock coming. The warranty is very specific about what is and isn't covered, for instance general wear isn't covered such as clutch, brakes etc. But the one thing that is covered is mechanical failure. In my eyes a knackered turbo is mechanical failure. It's not a serviceable part, it either runs or it breaks, black or white, no grey.
Dave
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Amazingly I did get a call today from Colliers Business Manager. They are talking to the warranty company on my behalf (part of Citroen?) and are actively pushing for a satisfactory resolution.
Dave
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Perhaps it is one of those third party warranty outfits - would explain why they attempted to evade a payout.

Make sure the dealers (if they are going to repair) are fully au fait with the necessary tweaks.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I went over to Colliers yesterday as I needed some items from the car. It was sat all forlorn on a ramp in the workshop. I went into the showroom and Colliers Citroen general manager came down to talk. He apologized profusely for the delay but said I would have the car back by next week. He even spoke about taking Citroen to court over their refusal to pay. But he said the job would be done and I would have the car next week. Here's hoping.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
Dave
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

demag wrote:I went over to Colliers yesterday as I needed some items from the car. It was sat all forlorn on a ramp in the workshop. I went into the showroom and Colliers Citroen general manager came down to talk. He apologized profusely for the delay but said I would have the car back by next week. He even spoke about taking Citroen to court over their refusal to pay. But he said the job would be done and I would have the car next week. Here's hoping.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk

Citroen really are shocking, you purchase a Citroen approved car which then turns out to be not approved and Citroen walk away! The real problem here is that the 1.6HDI engine is turning out to be a lemon. Unfortunately Citroen/PUG/Ford will not own up to their responsibilities. The design is flawed and which ever way you look at it they will wriggle out of claims one way or another.
I'm not going to buy any 1.6HDI motors in the future which really makes it unlikely that I'll be buying another Citroen in the near future..... :(

Even if your motor gets repaired successfully where do you stand when in 3000 miles time the turbo lets go again?

Regards,
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It may not fail again. To suggest it eludes competent repair is a slight upon all the shops who - with greater or lesser amounts of hoopla, get the job done right and the car motors off into the sunset.
howiedean
My Cars:

Re:

Post by howiedean »

addo wrote:It may not fail again. To suggest it eludes competent repair is a slight upon all the shops who - with greater or lesser amounts of hoopla, get the job done right and the car motors off into the sunset.

addo, my cynical view getting in the way again but to be fair main dealers don't seem to be the most capable of outfits these days!
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone