306 hdi 37 mpg?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scfc_151

306 hdi 37 mpg?

Post by scfc_151 »

I have a 2001 2.0 hdi with 213,000 miles

The mpg is only 37 average. This is services every 6000 miles so the air and fuel filter is clean. It doesnt feel down on power and runs well.

Is there any reason it could be so low? Im not heavy footed, the brakes arent binding and tyre pressures fine.

Would a plannet peugeot diagnostic tell me anything if I could find one anywhere near Stoke on Trent?

Many thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 306 hdi 37 mpg?

Post by Peter.N. »

Depends largely on how and where you drive it, that is certainly very poor my 406 will do 6o mpg driven carefully. Is the engine running at the correct temperature? do you make a lot of short journeys or drive in heavy traffic? I drive at rarely more than 60 mph or 2000 rpm and that will also give me nearly 60mpg on my C5. The cold weather will make a difference but not to be that bad.

Peter
scfc_151

Post by scfc_151 »

To be honest I drive short journeys to work most of the time but I dont drive it hard and try to give it a blast on the motorway when I can. I was considering a petrol for that reason for my next car but we recently had a baby so need to keep it for a while if I can.

It therefore only just starts to get warm by the time I get there. I know this affects economy but I wouldnt of thought to this degree?

When it is upto temp it runs at about 80deg. Ive actually bought some coolant to renew before it gets really cold and im going to do the thermostat at the same time. Knowing my luck id have to replace it a week after putting new coolant in.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can check if its doing what it should by driving on a flat section of motorway or other road with a warm engine at a steady 60 mph for a mile or two, it should give you around 60 mpg or probably more being a 306 - assuming you have a fuel computer, if not fill the tank to the brim and drive as many miles as you can at 60 mph then top it up again and see how much it has used.

I certainly wouldn't change it for a petrol, the Hdi engine is very efficient and you would probably use a third more fuel, petrol engines are even less efficient at low temperatures.

The difference between a cold and warm diesel can be quite substantial, when we were in Scotland last year and the weather was very cold, for the first few miles I was getting around 50 mpg from the 406 which increased to 60 mpg when it was warm. If the weather is very cold its not just the engine inefficiency but all the lubricants are cold increasing the drag.

Peter
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

It could be the MAF sensor. A faulty MAF won't put the engine light on but the car will feel low on power and drink fuel.

I picked up a 2000 306 DW8 last year with this issue. Plugging in Planet brought up the MAF fault code.

There's nobody on my Planet owners map in Stoke, nearest is Macclesfield or me in Chester. I've got a diagnostic due in Whitchurch but I'm still waiting on the fella to get back to me.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
scfc_151

Post by scfc_151 »

How much do you charge for a diagnostic Gibbo? It did have a genuine maf sensor about 18 months ago and I bought some electrical contact cleaner to do everytime change the air filter
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

It depends if you come to me or I come to you. As a rule of thumb its generally a tenner if you're local.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales