radius arm/bearings??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

radius arm/bearings??

Post by deano1970 »

ok,
I have a 2.2 hdi exclusive with noisy/cracking noise coming from back of car.....The garage seem to think they may need to replace two arms on the car and are getting me a price...People on here seem more clued up than the garage I took it to,so, I want to try and find out, if both the arms need replacing and not just the bearings, what is the likely cost of this? I was expecting to spend money on it and I only paid £535 for it, has full cream leather, electric seats,sat nav etc.so I don't mind spending some oney on it to get it up to scratch,but does anybody have any idea how much this would cost me to have replaced?? I have no experience so it would need to be done in a garage?? just need to find out if it's worth doing...be a real shame to have to scrap it/ sell it cos it's a really nice car?? any advice would be appreciated,cheers.......p.s. I have tried looking for the price of the arms but cannot find them anywhere? it's a 52 plate and was registered on the 03/01/2003 ?? cheers.........
C5 X7
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: radius arm/bearings??

Post by VertVega »

Problem would be solved by bearings replacement only.

Check out the price of the radius arm bearing kit.
For example try from ebay with search words Citroen C5 RADIUS ARM
You'll be happy to see the prices :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

cheers,
I just took it to my local garage and he took my reg and date it was registered and said he would need to check technical data on the car and said if the arms were fixed into the axle,then it would be easier to replace the axle but that wouldn't be cost effective...He said he had an 03 peugeot partner on an 03 plate that was being scrapped because of the same problem and not worth the money to fix.... I am now a little worried about it to be honest.......was expecting to spend maybe a few hundred putting it right,but he said he priced up the axle for the peugeot and it was 1300 so it's being scrapped?? I think I may have bought a lemon?? guy I bought it from said it wouldn't affect the mot and said that a "bush was needed somewhere on the rear subframe" because of the noise.....This doesn't look like it's going to be the case and could end up costing me a fortune or scrapping it,or running it as it is until it's completely knackered?? real shame.............will know better this afternoon when I phone garage back?/ :oops:
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

I am guessing that this is the part/s I need?? http://www.eurocarcare.net/rear-suspens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... r-kit.html This would do the job?? just need to get the garage to get it repaired...two I been to so far don't seem convinced???
C5 X7
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

think the book time for both sides is 4 hours Dean..

factor that and the Vat and parts and it could be prohibitive at a garage..

I will get on to mine soon*, and will do a how to or something..

*I say soon,, I have a workshop of sorts but not sure I want to tackle this job just yet.. riding a motorbike in winter is not always fun.. and mine only clunks on the biggest of surface changes/ramps etc,, so just don't know how quickly it needs seeing too
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hi Deano, the Berlingo/Partner rear axle is £350 exchange from memory. About two hours to change over plus the brake bleed time.

You need an honest garage (or maybe, make him an offer on the Pug as well :lol: ) to assess and price repairs. He seriously should know better than be so uninformed. You're otherwise paying for someone to be a dunderhead.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

get the garage to do your rear arms for free, if you supply the parts, so he can learn..

and then he can have everyone's c5, locally, to do ;)
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

The link (eurocarcare) you have given doesn't work :? (Error 404, page not found) but found the part under suspension category.
It costs (£55.00) about the same as in ebay :)

eurocarcare --> Home > Suspension > Rear Suspension
ECC95619170 - Rear Radius Arm Repair Kit (and pic)
REPAIR KIT
FOR REAR SUSPENSION TRAILING SWING ARM
COMPLETE WITH NUT, BOLT, SEALS, SPACERS, CAPS & TIMKEN BEARINGS.
REPAIRS ONE ARM ONLY
TO SUIT: CITROEN C5 all models saloon & estate.

http://www.eurocarcare.net/rear-suspens ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes,that's the one, don't know why the link didn't go straight to the part....Anyway, I am now avoiding the garage that told me all the guff about the pug being scrapped and letting the one next to my work do it.....they have quoted £117 for two repair kits and total of approx £300 for the whole job, could be a bit more I guess but at least they seem to have come up with the solution everyone on here has... :-D
C5 X7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

VertVega wrote:
Check out the price of the radius arm bearing kit.
For example try from ebay with search words Citroen C5 RADIUS ARM
You'll be happy to see the prices :)
as far as im aware the C5 arm bearing set is not yet available as a kit, as some of the components are different to the likes of the BX, CX, C15 and XANT's,

there is a thread with source and price's for all the parts required on here some were,

calling Mr myglaren Stevey baby, as he has the knack of finding thread on here
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi malcolm,
this was the link I posted before,although it didn't seem to work but can be found on this page,I will post the link again, they are selling a radius arm repair kit for the C5 here... http://www.eurocarcare.net/rear-suspens ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .... the garage rang to say they had found the kits at £117 for two,which is cheaper than I found them here cos they were £55 + vat?? says its for all citroen C5 models??
C5 X7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i seem to remember the cost of the parts i sourced came to around £50ish and that was buying some bits from GSF and the rest from citroen
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have done mine this year and although it can be a job to get it all apart, especially the pins that hold the push rods and brake pipes, once you have done that its a fairly straightforward job.

Peter
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

I replaced one side on my C5 in October. Followed forum advice got parts from Citroen main dealer and from GSF (total £60) and got cash price from an independant garage, came to £150 all in. So £300 for both sides is very reasonable using a garage. Do both sides really need doing? I would just get the one side done in case the car meets its end before the other side goes! With Coastline Taxi's kind permission here's a description of the job from start to finish:

Jack up the rear of the car, remove rear wheels, and place axle stands under the rear suspension beam. Place suspension in the LOW position to remove suspension pressure. Ensure all pressure is gone from rear suspension before further dismantling.

Undo rear caliper (2 x 17mm bolts) and unclip brake pipe from arm. Tie caliper out of the way in order that brake pipe is not damaged. (Do not remove or loosen the long 8mm nut and bolt that holds that pads in, leaving this in place will prevent caliper from leaking fluid)

Remove U-clip that secures rear suspension arm pin to arm using pliers. Pull the long metal rod from the suspension cylinder back, keeping it inside the rubber gaiter.

Undo the 2 x 13mm bolts securing anti roll bar to the arm.

Using long bar/rachet, undo the 24mm nut and bolt securing the arm. Remove the arm from car.

Mount arm in vice.

Using suitable socket (I used a long 14mm socket) and hammer, knock through the metal spacer tube..
The remains of the arm seals, bearing cage and spacers usually fall out, if not prise them out with a pry bar or large screwdriver..

Remove the pivot protector (plastic inner tube) . (sometime they come out easily, othertimes you have to resort to bashing them out)

Knock off the bearing outer-ring using something like a hard metal pipe or drift. If it does not shift I suggest Mig welding round the remains of the bearing collar inside the arm. If you do not have a welder, clean carefully inside the arm with WD40, sandpaper, then attempt to hit them out once you can see where they are. Clean inside arm with oil and a cloth, ensuring all dirt and rust is removed. Lightly grease inside the arm.

Insert new arm bearing shells at both ends, greasing them thinly and tap into place using 24mm socket and hammer. Fit and grease new bearings.

Assemble the metal spacer tube and roller-bearing, plus the oil seal thrust bush at one side.
Don't forget to insert the shim (See diagram, 514327) between bearing and thrust bush. Fit this part to the outer side of rear arm.

Then fully grease the new bearings. Fill plastic spacer tube with oil/grease.
Insert half assembled spacer and bearing into arm, and build up the bearing, seal etc on the other side.
Refitting the rebuilt rear arm in reverse procedure to dismantling.
13kgf/m is the suggested torque for the 24mm bolt.
Don't forget to bleed the rear brakes if you have split the rear caliper
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

....further to previous post - you have to work on radius arm under the car as there's an abs wire that you cannot disconnect. Need to make sure you dont strain the wire. (sorry not mentioned in previous post)
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate