Saxo problems and Jaystock, a great exhaust supplier

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Saxo problems and Jaystock, a great exhaust supplier

Post by isisalar »

The Saxo exhaust has been gradually crumbling away since we got the car last winter, did a few bodges to wring a bit more time out of it but when the wife was pulled up by the Police last week and given a warning it was time to bite the bullet and go for it. Whole system needed including the cat.
Just for a laugh I got a quote from Kwick fit. £400 fitted, the cat alone being £230.
I was 'in the trade' for many years and looked up one of the old exhaust wholesalers I used to use and was delighted to find that not only are the still in business, they now sell nearly all parts, and offer a free delivery service even with exhausts. They're quite happy to deal with the general public for single purchases, and they are pretty much nationwide.
http://www.jaystock.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here they are.
Taking account of the £25 rebate for returning the old cat and including all new fixings clamps rubbers etc inc. vat I paid £145. Paid £50 to a local mechanic to fit, including changing the horn for a new one. So all done for half the kwik fit price.
Unfortunately one of the lamda sensors had become welded into the old cat section and a new one was needed. Estimate £30-£40, nearby factors were suprised to find that it was £120 inc.! Back to Jaystock and got one for £90 inc. Dread to think what Kwik fit would charge if they had you captive on the ramp in this situation.

Changed the horn because it wasn't working, and it still isn't, so I'm thinking it must be the stalk faulty. Anything else to look at? Also getting a clicking relay type noise connected to the indicators so hopefully kill two birds with one stone.

I've only experienced it once, so I'm relying on the Wife's description, occasionally when applying right hand lock at parking speeds there is a 'clunk'. Often after the car has been parked for a while. Is this a known fault? Broken spring? rubber bush of some sort? sticky pads?
Other than these little niggles the Saxo's been a great little car following in the footsteps of it's two 106 predecessors.
Cheers Guys
Paul
Last edited by isisalar on 24 Nov 2013, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Saxo problems and Jaystock, agreat exhaust supplier

Post by spider »

Switch could well be dying that would explain the clicking, seems to effect 306's more but the switch is about the same.

The clunk could be anything. I thought mine was top mounts but changing them did not cure it initially.

The shocker "insert" can work loose although a weird tool is needed you can use large grips in situ to check its not coming loose. The cap on it reach through the spring.

After that rear wishbone bushes I guess, given the price of new arms its easier and quicker to replace the arm complete.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG