306 boot interior light problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

306 boot interior light problem

Post by mgoodlad »

Hopefully a simple question - the interior light in the boot of my 1996 306 TD doesn't work - checked and the bulb is fine - can the fault be in the switch? Where is the switch? - I can't find mention of it the Haynes manual - the 106 I also have there is a conventional pop up button in the boot shut, but no sign of anything like that on the 306 - is it some kind of gravity switch in the rear door itself - do I access it by taking off the interior panel? Any help appreciated - it was okay all summer but not a pain with the dark nights!
Regards
Michael Goodlad
petrolhd
My Cars:

Post by petrolhd »

The switch is hidden inside the hatch door. You have to remove the trim of the hatch door to expose the switch. It is a level switch which shuts off when the boot door is closed. If I could remember correctely, you have to bend the arm of the switch so that it senses the level correctely.
Having said all this, why don't you try checking the fuse first.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Thanks for reply. Took off the trim in the hatch and found the switch - wiggling it makes the light go on and off - seems to be either a ball bearing or or blob of mercury which goes up and down inside it - cleaned up the connectors - still a bit intermittent but it comes on if I tap the appropriate place. Probably need a new switch I think, but as its more or less working can wait a while. Much better than not working at all. Regards, Michael
Michael