Xantia S2 1998 replacement posative battery cable.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia S2 1998 replacement posative battery cable.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,

does anybody know where I might be able to aquire a replacement posative battery cable and clamp please
for my 1998 S2 xantia, there are no xantias on our local scrap yards and I have checked five different yards.
I would like to get my hands on a direct New replacement if possible?

Thabnks in advance

Nigel.
ps if anybody is wondering its still in the garage being being repaired, thank god for the little 2cv.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia S2 1998 replacement posative battery cable.

Post by Mandrake »

What's the problem with the original ? Split battery clamp ? Corroded/loose wires where they go into the clamp ? Or something wrong with the cable itself ?

I've just been down this road recently with two split battery clamps and the conclusion that I came to is that new genuine replacements are far too expensive and/or hard to find, and any second hand cable from a scrapped car is likely to have the original lead terminals that are similarly worn out to the point where they won't clamp properly or are well on the way towards splitting.

I was reluctant at first but after RichardW suggested them and I became desperate (the negative clamp finally split completely and would no longer clamp up) I fitted these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here they are on the car:

For £8.99 you can't really go wrong, certainly as a temporary measure that can be fitted in 10 minutes. (It took me about 10 minutes per clamp to fit)

They have enough adjustment on the cable clamp to deal with the large wire bundle of the positive leads (just!) and the small bundle of the negative leads. Some of the other replacement battery clamps I tried (including the other halfords ones) fit the battery posts well but simply don't fit the diameter of the wire bundles.

The quick release system seems to clamp onto the posts really firmly and securely but can be quickly and easily released without a spanner which is handy when you're doing work that needs the battery disconnecting. I've had them on for a couple of months now with no problems.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Theres ALSO a Sticky post above at the top, about battery leads!!!

Might be worth a read through..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Hello again,

Thanks for the info, Yes it is the clamp on the posative battery terminal that has split making it virtually impossible to tighten up.
I have already made a negative lead up from two Honda cables of similar thickness, i joined them inside a plastic value pack
cod liver oil capsule container which sits beneath the LHM tank, the earth lead needs to be very long as it attaches to the gear box as well as the wing and the battery termninal, fortunately the posative lead is shorter but everybody seems to plunder them from the scrappy quickly and no other models seemed to match the Xantia's lead.
I think I'll try the one suggested above and replace the clamp as opposed to the whole lead, I dont really want to start messing about inside the main relay box as aged electrics can get tempremental.
The sticky is generally about corrosion particularly corrosion in the lead to the starter motor.

thanks again.

regards

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The sticky also sugests checking the positive cable for stiffness and age as well as corrosion..

While you are changing the terminal at the battery check its condition.. give it a bend back and forth any stiffness will indicate high resistance and heat and trouble..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

will do thanks, when I get the car back its about 40 mile4s away at the moment.
I just wanted to be prepared.
Thanks
Nigel.