zx camshaft bearing caps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zxdyson

zx camshaft bearing caps

Post by zxdyson »

Hi,
This is my first post, so hello. I had the unfortunate opportunity to disassmble my ZX last week due to a haed gasket failure:-( Planning to put it back together tomorrow hence the post with some questions!
I am due to put my camshaft back in after a head gasket failure. The haynes manual says to put sealing compound on several surfaces on the end bearing caps, my question is really what compound to use? I have some Hermetite Gold (non hardening gasket compound) but should i be using Hermetite orange (hardening gasket compound)?
Also, the head gasket removed is a 2 notch gasket, if the head has been skimmed should i put a 3 notch one on?
If anyone has an opinion?
Cheers, Mark
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

default to the thick gasket, sealant, be very sparing with a non setting one.
Have fun
Stewart
spanner 1

Post by spanner 1 »

If it is a diesel i hope you had it pressure tested and the only place you need to smear the sealant is where the two end caps touch the head, the rocker gasket will do the rest. when you have run the engine retighten rocker gasket.
zxdyson

Post by zxdyson »

I have now put it back together and used sealant only where the bearin g caps touch the head. I did have the head leak tested and skimmed in the end also. The plan is to try and run it on Saturdau when i get the rest of it back in.