C3 clutch slip, prices?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

C3 clutch slip, prices?

Post by Richard_C »

Our C3 1.4hdi 70 bhp (old shape) is showing the first signs of clutch slip at 73k miles. Last time I had to do a clutch on a car was a Mk1 Cortina in 197x something but we have had 2 children learn to drive on this one so that won't have helped.

3 questions:

Am I right in thinking that is hydraulic non adjustable operation, so its likely to be clutch itself not actuator issues.

Is this a common or likely problem? I guess as manufacturers try to get good scores on emissions and fuel economy they make everything as small and light as possible so maybe it doesn't last as long as it might.

I will get quotes from an independent garage, but I see that dealers (we have a good one locally) have a fixed price which looks hard to beat. They do ''essentials' for 399 and "original" for 499. Presumably the difference is the label on the box the parts come in, is there a good reason not to use essentials?

All comments welcome.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
citronut
My Cars:

Re: C3 clutch slip, prices?

Post by citronut »

Richard_C wrote:Our C3 1.4hdi 70 bhp (old shape) is showing the first signs of clutch slip at 73k miles. Last time I had to do a clutch on a car was a Mk1 Cortina in 197x something but we have had 2 children learn to drive on this one so that won't have helped.

3 questions:

Am I right in thinking that is hydraulic non adjustable operation, so its likely to be clutch itself not actuator issues.

Is this a common or likely problem? I guess as manufacturers try to get good scores on emissions and fuel economy they make everything as small and light as possible so maybe it doesn't last as long as it might.

I will get quotes from an independent garage, but I see that dealers (we have a good one locally) have a fixed price which looks hard to beat. They do ''essentials' for 399 and "original" for 499. Presumably the difference is the label on the box the parts come in, is there a good reason not to use essentials?

All comments welcome.
dont know for sure if you have a hydraulic clutch but can check with the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No.,

the cheaper option from citroen is probably a factory exchange/re/con, as they usually show new or exchange on service citroen,

i havent done a C3 clutch as yet but usually do the likes of a XANT for around £300 including parts, so would have thought the C3 should be easier,
famous last words
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The problem with the C3 over the Cortina is that the engine is the wrong way round - how easy RWD car clutches were. If its not slipping badly and you drive it in such a way that you don't let it slip it could last for many thousands of miles yet, but maybe you are not old enough to drive like me :?

Peter
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Thanks citronut. Presumably the factory recon ones will have all new friction surface/lining or whatever its called?.

I wasn't planning on doing it myself although I probably know enough and have enough tools. I've even turned my own clutch centring tool aeons ago. Hard to get the C3 far enough off the ground and its cold and I'm not as flexible as I was and my varifocal glasses don't work too well when I'm lying upside down. So its dealer or indie, just a question of which.

In retrospect I shouldn't really have asked about hydraulic or not, realise now that I did register for service citroen for the free access bit for my C5 so just need to type the C3 VIN in there and look at the pictures. Or crawl around under the car ....

Thanks Peter, I could probably make it last a very long time - back in 2CV days I found the clutch unnecessary apart from setting off, you just get the revs/throttle right and change nicely through the gears. But 3 others in the family drive it and I feel responsible. The start of slip is the beginning of the end, its just a question of when.

I think the correct Arthur Daly technique is to throw some sawdust into the bell housing before the punter has a test drive, don't make the test too long so it doesn't get hot, and only take cash for the sale. But we plan to keep this one for at least another 2 years/ 25k miles if we can. My son is a musician and the blobby tall shape means you can get some quite large percussion instruments in the back with the seat down.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard_C wrote:Thanks citronut. Presumably the factory recon ones will have all new friction surface/lining or whatever its called?.

I wasn't planning on doing it myself although I probably know enough and have enough tools. I've even turned my own clutch centring tool aeons ago. Hard to get the C3 far enough off the ground and its cold and I'm not as flexible as I was and my varifocal glasses don't work too well when I'm lying upside down. So its dealer or indie, just a question of which.
i dont know as i have never used there re/con or for that matter new one either, as i usually go for a Valeo or LUK from GSF,
Richard_C wrote: I did register for service citroen for the free access bit for my C5 so just need to type the C3 VIN in there and look at the pictures. Or crawl around under the car ....
you can use the subscriber section but you have to hand over some dosh for that service :yikes: :-D :wink:
also you only need to put the last 8 digits of you chassis/VIN No. in the VIN box,
Richard_C wrote: My son is a musician and the blobby tall shape
well Richard
does your son mind you calling him / \, thats not nice :shock: :twisted: :roll: :rofl2: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

All C3 clutches are hydraulic apart from the sensodrive models which are electro mechanical.