Xantia 98 remote locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stukk
My Cars:

Xantia 98 remote locking

Post by stukk »

The remote locking on my citroen xantia has packed in.
All was fine then i noticed i had to be close and closer to the car to get the locking to work which i assumed to be the batteries in the remote.
anyway it eventually packed in and i had the batteries changed. i reprogrammed the remote in the ignition. and since then it has worked once when i was sat inside the car.
The car locks normally using the key
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Can't help really but just to say i 've got same problem with my XM and have just had it in the Citroen garage and they charged me £200 for "investigating" and didnt solve the problem so beware of it if you take it in to a cit garage, i have now given up so am hoping at some point to come across a solution.
stukk
My Cars:

Post by stukk »

damn that should be made illegal charging folks to investigate and then not finding the solution.
im taking the car in for new rear spheres in a week or so. i might ask see if they have any ideas. or see if they will tell me where the receiver is located.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

is it a mark 1 or 2 Xantia ? if its a mk1 (IR plip) then the recever is in the roof in front of the rear view mirror,if its a mk2 (HF plip) then the recever is an internal part of the CPH unit (not cheap) which is located behind the glovebox.
stukk
My Cars:

Post by stukk »

I opened up the remote plip today while sat in the car waiting for the wife coming back from a seemingly endless trip into argos.
pressed pretty hard on the battery terminaland pressed the button at the same time and the remote central locking worked ok. so thats that problem half sorted i wedged a washer inbetween the battery and the terminal and it still worked ok put the thing back together and nothing.
at least i have half an idea whats the cause now its either a bad battery connection inside the key or its a dry solder joint on the circuit board inside.
ANDY
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

It'll more than likely be a dry joint - very common and the death of many a Xantia IR plip.
big_lorry
My Cars:

Post by big_lorry »

I have had the same problem with one of my remotes.
I checked it with a meter and found that there is a constant drain on the batteries even when no buttons are pressed but I don't know how to trace the fault to component level. My two remotes are slightly different (layout, type of components and numbers on the board etc.) The good one I have changed the batteries once so I know it's not the system in the car, the bad one I've given up!.
You must be able to buy a new remote and programe it with your own code anyone any ideas.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Now this is going to sound daft and obvious but I confess it had me puzzled for about a week[:I]
My plips worked but like 'Stukk' only when close to the receiver until mine just failed so I stole the one from er indoors.
Mine had just got so filthy and clogged up with pocket fluff that it failed!!
Cleaned up with new batteries I can pretend to be like the 'pra**s' with BMW's who use their plips like a six gun and fire from 50 yds and backwards, just like their minds I guess.
Might help someone. R