Transmissions, drive shafts and spline sizes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

Transmissions, drive shafts and spline sizes

Post by nametooshort »

Good morning folks!

I wasn't sure where to post this since it's about both peugeots and citroens, so I posted in the Cit section since it gets more traffic.

It seems that for some reason, since I got my slightly bastardized 305, everyone loves it. Everyone keeps asking me what it is (and most people seem to think its either a Volvo or a Saab) and its turned out to be a really cool car, so much so that my buddy picked up a 305 too.

Problem is, he don't know how to drive a stick. While I somehow learned through my obsession with vintage cars, people who are used to autos find it pretty difficult, and he just plain hates sticks anyways. So, the solution seems to be to build a auto 305. We were going to do that to mine for a while, but then figured out a way to make the clutch reliable (replaced it with a hydraulic system) so it never happened.

That brings me to my questions about splines and drive shafts and such.

First of all, from what I gather the only cars to have got the xud diesel engine and a auto transmission in any large amounts were the Xantias, in both XUD9 and XUD11 variants. I think we managed to locate a specimen of one of these (whole car), but its going to take a while for it to arrive since its coming by slow-shipping. Everything seems to line up reasonably well to just move a whole Xantia power unit into a 305, apart from what to do with the drive shafts.

What I can't seem to find anywhere is any data on inner CV joints. Nobody sells inner CV joints on ebay, so you can't find specs by looking at other people's ebay listings.

Anybody know what the inside spline size (where the shaft slots into the transmission, NOT the inside of the OUTER joint, which is what people usually think when I ask that question) for the auto transmissions used in the xantia autos?

Im kinda secretly hoping that its the same as a 305, and the diff is the same too so I can just slot 305 shafts into it and it will all line up and be fine, but im not sure its that convenient.

Anybody know where I can get full specs?

Thanks
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Transmissions, drive shafts and spline sizes

Post by Stickyfinger »

Cant help at all..:(

But ?

Why not rebuild the Xantia, then you can really enjoy French motoring in all its comfort :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

The Xantia is in a pretty bad way, the front end is fine but the back end is very badly damaged by falling debris from a broken building. Its literally squished. It came from someplace in Africa.

Besides, its not ugly enough. Everybody loves the 305 just because its soooo ugly looking, the Xantia is a little too elegant lol.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Despite his apparent resistance, the simple answer is for him to learn to drive "stick". It is laughably easy and once learned becomes second nature, you are barely aware of changing gear, it happens "automatically" :)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

myglaren wrote:Despite his apparent resistance, the simple answer is for him to learn to drive "stick". It is laughably easy and once learned becomes second nature, you are barely aware of changing gear, it happens "automatically" :)
If my 83 year old Mother can drive "Stick" I am sure a Yank can manage it [-X :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Even my mum can drive a "stick" shift car.

Can your friend ride a motorcycle? I learnt to change manual gears when I was 9 on a Honda 80 dirt bike.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I learnt to ride on the town bike, too. :P