Speeding up warm up on Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Speeding up warm up on Hdi

Post by isisalar »

Just about the only thing I don't like about my HDI exclusive is the time it takes to warm up from cold, I know this is a characteristic of them and I'm sure the thermostat is working fine. For the last couple of weeks I've been working about 15 miles from home, a mostly motorway journey and even talking it easy last week's fuel consumption was about 45 mpg. On longer journeys Ive seen 59mpg so I'm putting the difference down to the amount of time the engine is running at less than perfect operating temperature.
In the'old days' placing cardboard or foil over the radiator was a common practice come winter and I'm thinking this might be a good idea to try on the xantia.
Anyone tried this, or got any advice?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Speeding up warm up on Hdi

Post by jgra1 »

mine same Paul.. although I don't think it is much worse than the xant.. takes an age to be able to clear screen and drive off..it seems at least,,

then a fair few miles before the inside of the car feels warm.. just when that happens I have to get out and sit behind a sodding desk lol
John
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I use the cardboard every winter Paul, in between the radiator and the intercooler, but I can't say it makes much difference ... maybe a mile or so before the needle moves on cold mornings.. Can't say if it affects intercooling at all.
At freezing mine takes about 4-5 miles for the needle to move and really doesn't reach normal operating until I have to wait at the security gate 14 miles after start.
I do notice a drop in MPG as the weather gets colder.. my last fill was 54 after I'd put the winter tyres on. previous to that I'd been above 60 all summer... no motorways up here!!

Here's a tip for defrosting and feeling warmer when you get in the car.
For years now, I've used an electric fan heater sitting on the brake lever, for about 5 mins before leaving.. all the windows are de iced, the car is warmish and if you recirculate the air, stays warm for a few miles.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Got a flap in the air intake?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Guessing the C5 differs as mine takes only mins to start to get warm air from the vents.

I do however get really misted up in the morning, bought some Autoglm glass cleaner today and hope its helps.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

If it's the Xantia in your signature then it'll have an Eberspacher fuel burning heater tucked behind the front bumper on the passengers side of the car. These are designed to burn a little bit of diesel to assist the coolant warming up if the outside temperature is below a certain level. There's not many Exclusives that have these working these days.

You can tell if it's working as it'll sounds like a little jet engine running behind the bumper. Quite often it's the glow plug in them that's at fault. I bought one for our HDi and never fitted it so have a spare if anyone needs one.

Lesser spec'd models such as the LX and SX had an electric glow plug inline with the coolant pipes mounted to the bulkhead.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I'm sure these would be useful

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-14800-Lower- ... B000I8XD3K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think most of the C5s and 406s have the auxilluary heater, at least both of mine do and it would be a very cold start to the journey without one. There is not much you can do to improve it as its just not producing the heat, what was converted to heat in the old IDI engines is now being converted to power - you can't have it both ways unfortunately, if the engine isn't actually producing the heat there is not much you can do to save it.

Peter
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

So it would seem this slow warming was a known feature from design stage, hence the auxillary heaters fitted to the HDI's. Having the heated seats it's not the personal comfort side of things that's a problem, in fact even with a non working HRW I don't suffer any major misting up problems, the air con comes on secretly on the de mist setting and soon clears the windows if necessary, it's more the fuel consumption I'm concerned with which must also be affected by running the air con thinking about it.
How much diesel do these heaters use? Is there a net benefit to the consumption or is it a purely comfort thing?
David I've sent you a PM re the glow plug.
c.morewood I would think putting cardboard in front of the rad would be the most effective place to put it and I'm going to give it a try today, I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks guys
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the heaters are primarily for comfort and were fitted as you say to compensate for the low engine heat output, the consumption is I believe about 1/2 Ltr per hour, which with my intolerance of cold is well worth the cost.

Peter
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

DHallworth wrote:If it's the Xantia in your signature then it'll have an Eberspacher fuel burning heater tucked behind the front bumper on the passengers side of the car. These are designed to burn a little bit of diesel to assist the coolant warming up if the outside temperature is below a certain level. There's not many Exclusives that have these working these days.
My Xantia has one fitted but it has never worked, thought about fixing it but never got round to it. Last year I bought a Jag S-Type that also has one fitted which works, and it does make a difference. Now I'm thinking I ought to fix the Xantia one but access etc looks a bit of a pain. Does anyone know the whereabouts of any instructions/ manuals preferably Xantia specific but generic would be a start.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Either Jim or Dickie G have done some good posts on this very subject and as and when I get a glowplug I'll certainly be digging them out. From what I recall it's not that bad a job but does need some sort of clamp to prevent the coolant from draining away.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Yes I've been a bit lazy - had a quick search and found some info although it does look like it has to come out to get to the glow plug etc. Also some suggestion about it requiring a reset after it has failed.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... berspacher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... p?p=194848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... n&ie=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The webasto/eber units dont use much fuel but put it all into making heat.

Ideally the thing you want is a websato unit, remote reciever and pump from a range rover 2002-2012 model :)

Then you wont have to worry about this cold morning stuff :) a bit of plumbing and wiring and you can have a warm engine and maybe a warm interior to boot :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I get warm air from the vents within a couple of minutes of starting, as far as I'm concerned its to warm me up not the engine. :-D

Peter