407 Solid Flywheel Clutch Conversion

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Masterbish

407 Solid Flywheel Clutch Conversion

Post by Masterbish »

Hello
I have the kit sitting here ready to go, i am planning to change it on Saturday, has anyone got any first hand experience on these conversions, i did read somewhere else but cant find it now that i will have to order and change the clutch fork is this true and if so what Peugeot model clutch fork do i need, i don't want to strip it all down only to have to wait for parts.
Thanks in advance
Al

407 - 2005 - 1.6 hdi
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 407 Solid Flywheel Clutch Conversion

Post by citronut »

i thought it the flywheel conversion was only available for the 2.0 and not for the 1.6
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Masterbish

Post by Masterbish »

Masterbish

Post by Masterbish »

Well clutch is all fitted now, was a bugger of job to remove the gearbox glad i didnt opt to do it on my drive, no issues with fitment all bolted straight up, clutch is now feather light and the car drives like new, i would recommend this conversion to others
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

Masterbish wrote:Well clutch is all fitted now, was a bugger of job to remove the gearbox glad i didnt opt to do it on my drive, no issues with fitment all bolted straight up, clutch is now feather light and the car drives like new, i would recommend this conversion to others
Good job! I'm sure someone will come across this thread and find this information useful! I wanted to convert my 406 2.2 HDi but it was going to cost mega bucks so I just ended it scrapping it, not really knowing if the DMF was ca-put or not, but given the running issues I think the damage was definitely inevitable considering I re-mapped the beast to over 180 bhp lol!
Citroen Synergie - 1.9 DT XUD9 TE lump (8 seater, daily driver)
Peugeot 406 ~ 2.0 Petrol estate (Sold in 2014, Missed every day.)
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

The pro`s & con`s of a solid DMF conversion has been done to death here and on other forums.
While I`m glad your job and the clutch is a success there are question marks about the long term effects of not having a DMF.These engines are designed around a DMF for balance/damping/vibration etc,so when a solid flywheel is fitted you have taken away the "give"? There have been horror stories (not on Peugeot`s)of crankshaft failures,bell housing cracking etc after a solid kit has been fitted.
I`m old school and to me a flywheel was a lump of metal that lasted for ever.I`m fed up with DMF`s as they have given so much trouble and are very expensive to replace,but if an engine has a DMF it should be replaced with one.They are getting better and the prices are coming down. GSF are quoting £378.93 for a DMF AND a clutch 3 piece kit?
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

From what I've read the Xantia HDI 110 doesn't use a DMF, whereas the 406 HDI 110 does.
So this would suggest that the 2L HDI 110 was not disigned around using a DMF.
Plus the HDI 90 do not use a DMF either.

Just out of interest do the Xantia and 406 HDI 110's use the same gerabox, can a Xantia clutch and flywheel be used in a 406 ?
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;