Xantia alternator and steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Xantia alternator and steering

Post by xantos »

I have a problem with hard steering and squeaking alternator. Are these two connected somehow?

When the alternator is squeaking the steering gets hard and lights go a little dim. The squeaking only happens on low revs. If I get the revs to about 3000/min it stops and is silent also on low revs for some time...

Any ideas?
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia alternator and steering

Post by Xaccers »

The aux belt drives the hydraulic pump, alternator and a/c
If the belt is slipping and therefore squeeking enough to cause the lights to dim then the hydraulic pump won't be pumping enough for the power steering which takes a huge amount of flow.
Time to check the belt for tension or replacement.

Another thing that can cause heavy/lump steering is the lower universal joint, which is normally sorted with some lube, however your symptoms point to it being aux belt related.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The TCT is a bit of a rare bird, if it's run out of tensioner adjustment, it's possible that the wrong (too long) auxiliary belt has been fitted. I can't decipher the service.citroen listings to work out what the correct belt should be. From experience with my VSX, the belt length can vary depending on which A/C compressor is fitted - never mind A/C or not!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd be looking hard at the damper pulley.
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Like been said above the belt is loose and with it running watch the pulley and see if it's bobbing up and down as there is some non roundness to many parts down in the dark abyss so that takes slack up but it's party trick is to seize or spring that runs above it to become elongated where bolts go through it at either end.
Inside tensioner theres a row of needle bearings that OEM manufacturer keep on a diet of lack of grease or any of quality and A because it's getting hot/cold plus damp/rain etc and B the arm moves over a few degrees of rotation the needles wear into sleeve and it all seizes up and the first you know about it is what you have found out.

Shout out for Citrojim or one of the other main crew as they have stickies on repairing that menace one thing you do find is that they have changed to size of square that pulls it back to lock it.
The Aux belt runs the LHM/Alternator/AC and the LHM pump is driving alot of pressure esp from cold but none of the 3 are an easy load.

But don't leave it too long and have a good visual check on belt as if it snaps/shears off as when it seizes belt runs to one side and then breaks and it can take out timing belt if it gets round main pulley so then jumps teeth.
So do check
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

What would your diagnosis be for heavy steering when turning the wheel quickly at a standstill? Belts are fine and the LHM fluid has been changed to see if that improved anything. Slowly turning the wheel is okay too, most noticeable at low revs.
xantos

Post by xantos »

Thank you for your replies.

The squeaking started some time after I have removed the LHM pump for fitting new seals. Of course the belt had to be removed at that time and and I am 99% sure that everything was put back together correctly.
I sprayed some WD-40 on the shaft of alternator, LHM pump and tensioners with no visible ("hearable") affect.

Have no time for diagnosis, but when I do I will report back.

Any further ideas are welcome 8-)
oscar

Post by oscar »

LeWaftBarge wrote:What would your diagnosis be for heavy steering when turning the wheel quickly at a standstill? Belts are fine and the LHM fluid has been changed to see if that improved anything. Slowly turning the wheel is okay too, most noticeable at low revs.
Pump could be on way out with low pressure how quick does it come upto pressure/red lights go out etc and any leaks round it? and brakes ok with pedal pressure when like this.
Also whats the sphere like at front of engine ie how many clicks as if clicking fast it needs changing.
Plus shouldn't be turning wheel quick or slow at standstill as take it you mean at very slow speed? unless you like changing steering components like ram and rod ends etc apart from scrubbing the tyres.
oscar

Post by oscar »

xantos wrote:Thank you for your replies.

The squeaking started some time after I have removed the LHM pump for fitting new seals. Of course the belt had to be removed at that time and and I am 99% sure that everything was put back together correctly.
I sprayed some WD-40 on the shaft of alternator, LHM pump and tensioners with no visible ("hearable") affect.

Have no time for diagnosis, but when I do I will report back.

Any further ideas are welcome 8-)
Hi did you put belt round the right/correct way the way it runs round pulleys and also the offset one 180 degrees with a 1/4 drive and allen key as that or those would cause said problems there is a sticky showing layout i guess somewhere plus what model/breed of Zanty ie AC or non
xantos

Post by xantos »

It's the damper pulley that is squeaking. Rubber - metal bond is gone so now it's slipping and therefore making squealing noise.

EDIT: So hard steering is probably causing the slipping pulley as it doesn't provide enough revolutions for the pump to produce sufficient pressure...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

xantos wrote:It's the damper pulley that is squeaking. Rubber - metal bond is gone so now it's slipping and therefore making squealing noise.

EDIT: So hard steering is probably causing the slipping pulley as it doesn't provide enough revolutions for the pump to produce sufficient pressure...
You say damper pulley then talk about a rubber metal bond, which makes me think you mean the crank pulley which is the big pulley at the bottom of that end of the engine with the large bolt holding it on and a ring of rubber between the inner and outer parts of the pulley. The rubber fails with age causing the outer to slip which would explain the hard steering and lights dimming.
Time for a replacement me thinks! You don't want that to fail!

DIY sphere tool
xantos

Post by xantos »

Yes crank pulley.

Sorry for my bad English. :oops:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

xantos wrote:Yes crank pulley.

Sorry for my bad English. :oops:
Nothing wrong with your English :)

You need to get that pulley replaced though because if it breaks apart then it could damage the cam belt and your timing will go out which will damage your engine.

DIY sphere tool
xantos

Post by xantos »

Already ordered crank pulley, "crank pulley belt", timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, head gasket, thermostat, teflon valve seals, oil filter and oil.

I intend to have this car for a long period (I think that in 10 years Activas will be very rare, at least functional ones :twisted: ), so it needs a bit (read: a whole lot :-D ) of attention, for everything to work OK.

For the time being it's on a stand still.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

xantos wrote:Already ordered crank pulley, "crank pulley belt", timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, head gasket, thermostat, teflon valve seals, oil filter and oil.

I intend to have this car for a long period (I think that in 10 years Activas will be very rare, at least functional ones :twisted: ), so it needs a bit (read: a whole lot :-D ) of attention, for everything to work OK.

For the time being it's on a stand still.
Activa's are already extremely rare in the UK so well done for keeping yours going :)
If you're going to be taking the head off, then you might also want to replace the exhaust manifold gasket as that was blowing on mine when I got her. Citrojim will confim that they can be done with the engine in place but they're a real pain in the backside to do!

DIY sphere tool