xantia sump capacity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

xantia sump capacity

Post by mark_sp »

Hello All
Recently did an engine oil and filter change on my 98 TD air-con hatch. The dip stick was showing mid way pre the change. When I drained the sump there did not look to be much oil in the container so I measured it and it was approximately 2 litres, I was expecting about 3.5.
This is the first time I have done an oil change on a xantia and I did it with the car pointing slightly downhill on my drive as is my habit with the bx. So I rolled the car to a level point on the drive and tried again, no additional oil was forthcoming.
I refilled with fresh oil to the full mark on the dipstick and managed to put in 2.4 litres.
As I say I think the sump holds just over 4 litres and was expecting to remove/replace at least 3.5 ?
Mark
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mark
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4402
See anything familiar[?][:0]
Richard
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Thanks
looked at the thread and its interesting. I used the drain plug at the front of the engine which is where the Haynes manual that I have says it is (even shows a picture). I'll have to take a look at the rear of the sump now which I suppose means dropping the under tray. I'm getting pretty urinated off now with this car as every task appears to be more complex than on my previous cit and non cit cars.
Mark
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Before you drop the under tray, make sure you haven't a little trapdoor in it (about 4 x3 inches) If you have, the sump plug is behind it.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Thanks.
I've scrutinised the photo in the manual and it looks like it's my mistake, I think I can see some radiator behind the sump which means that the photo has been taken from the rear of the sump.
I'll check for the flap as soon as I feel like crawling under the car.
Mark