306 Hdi Diesel Leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steveoracle

306 Hdi Diesel Leak

Post by steveoracle »

Hi All

Just noticed a small diesel leak dripping from underneath my 2.0 Hdi engine. It stops when I've been parked for 5 minutes and starts again after I've driven. I know it could be a number of things but has anyone got any idea what the most likely suspect might be?

Ste
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 306 Hdi Diesel Leak

Post by spider »

Would be best to clean it off then check it (after stopping it)

It could be a number of things, fuel filter housing or pipework (tis plastic) or if unlucky a leak from the pump itself.

The high pressure pipework is less likely to leak I think though although the leakoff returns could.

Give it a good clean off, then run it and stop it and then check to see what's what.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

+1 to the suggestion of the returns.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
steveoracle

Post by steveoracle »

Hi Gibbo/Spider

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. 'leakoff returns' --- whereabouts is this? Can I see it from the top of the engine? And is it a big job?

Steve
spider

Post by spider »

Yes on the 306 (or any 2.0 unit mainly) the plastic / rubber pipes between the injectors themselves, not the metal pipes leading to them. You'll see them they "join" between each injector.
Andy.

steveoracle

Post by steveoracle »

Hi Gibbo, Spider

I think I found the leak, it looks like it's coming from the knurled plastic valve thing in the middle of the image. Is that on the fuel pump?

Steve
spider

Post by spider »

That's the fuel filter drain tap. You can get (I think) a new o-ring for it. Usually should be changed with the filter I think anyway, perhaps the last filter change they did not.

Just unscrews by hand (have a drain tray or large rag underneath) although if you leave the filter pipes on it should not leak too much.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

191720 is the part number for the drain screw as far as I can tell. I could not get a picture of a 306 one although the 406 HDi shares the same part number so I guess its safe to say its the same.

If that does not cure it you'd be looking at a filter housing I guess. Easy to change.
Andy.

steveoracle

Post by steveoracle »

Spider

Brilliant - thanks for the info. I'll try replacing the o-ring. Next question of course is where will I find one?

Cheers

Steve
steveoracle

Post by steveoracle »

Is this the wrong one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1917-23-PEUGE ... 012wt_1163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
spider

Post by spider »

It looks about right but the part number is different so not 100% sure.

I doubt they would actually be much brand new from the main dealer to be honest. Maybe even less that that Ebay one at a guess.

Failing that (although not a brilliant idea) get a couple from the scrapyard. The ones on 406's and 307's as well are the same in most cases. Note: Two types of filter housing, one has the pipes and an electrical plug on, the other just has the pipes, its this sort (ie just pipes no electric plug on top) you want the donor from as I'm not sure if the type with the multiplug on it is the same or not.
Andy.

steveoracle

Post by steveoracle »

Spider

Can't find any reference to the "191720 " part number to be honest. The 191723 look very similar as you say. I did nip it up so it's barely leaking now so no great rush. - I'll try a dealer tomorrow, do you think they'll sell such a small part?

Steve
steveoracle

Post by steveoracle »

Hi Spider

You were right about the part no., but it's now been superseded by 191723. These are 2.50 + VAT (as you suggested cheaper than ebay!)each from the dealer but they only come in packs of 5! I've taken a punt on the ebay one .... looks new in the photo.

So to change I just unscrew the old 1 and put the new one straight in? Is there any pressure inside? Will I need to bleed anything afterwards?

Steve
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Try a different dealer if you can. Peugeot Chester make you buy parts in the quantity they come in the pack, but the Wirral branches let you have them singly.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
spider

Post by spider »

Any progress with this ? :)
Andy.