Xara VTS engine in Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

longgo
My Cars: was Xantia I LPG
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Xara VTS engine in Xantia?

Post by longgo »

Hi folks,

There is some ... ideas floating in my head :-D like to replace my 1.8 engine with 2.0 164hp VTS engine. Last time when i get chance to look for a while at xara`s bay seems the mount points are the same for 1.8 16V engine only there is the steering pump against hydraulic system in mine. Well then in just as idea should be possible XU10J4RS to fit in my car... Has someone any positive response?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Xara VTS engine in Xantia?

Post by jgra1 »

try it :)

I miss the days of thinking outside the box..

although ..what other engines could go in? V6... Hdi...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I see only two real areas of concern.

First, I cannot say with certainty if the headers will fit. Only one way to find out. :wink:

The other small hurdle, is your ECU will be tuned for a lighter car, so it may affect fuel/advance differently at RPM points compared to what a Xantia really likes. I would advise to check the ECU connectors and if possible re-use the Xantia harness - it will be about 80 wires simpler than splicing in the Xsara one. You may wish to add a hydraulic pressure sensor (something they discontinued on the 2.0 Xantia in about 1998) to make sure it does not stumble when the pump is in operation.

The LHM pump bracket on an A/C 16V Xantia, is the same part as the PAS pump bracket on a 406 with A/C.
longgo
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Post by longgo »

Well,
I saw the crashed car released for parts sale, and because the engine was not damaged at all .. price was quite ok, then just come to my mind that swap engine idea. Originally there are V6 engines fitted but that will cost more. Other option is good acav 2.0l engine ot 2.0 CT with new turbo which will be something close to plug and play scenario. There isn't any of that for sale for now, and is much more worth it to buy ready car with it than to try it on mine(not so in good shape though). For the ECU.. for sure will be just enough to run the car in that way but one remap should be just... fine if any of that come to the final stage.
Thanks for the answers, cheers
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I would have thought it would fit okay! The VTS luimp isnt too far removed from the 2l16v that some had??
It would make quite a nice motor for the car, although they do like the Revs those engines, be a bit more of a sleeper type car, wont be F1 stylee difference, but enough to notice! ;-)

One of our guys popped a V6 in a BX 16v bay, so the vts lump shouldbt be too much of an issue in the xantia!

Any engine can be made to fit with the right amount of £££
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A BX 6-cylinder? Where can I read about it?
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Was on bx16valve.com/forum will try and dig it out!

'58 C2 Code
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Addo, its an old thread and some of the pictures no longer work after 4 years! but heres a bit on it!
http://bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'58 C2 Code
longgo
now - Xantia II
wish DS23

Post by longgo »

Well, thanks for the hint Timmo. I find out that shouldn`t be any problem to fit the engine. Even the ECU pinout is quite close to what need to be. The problem is ££££ as far i figure out. Just here for one engine from xara the price is between 400-800e what i found. Because of my "luck" now i do not have place to do the fix i need to use service where they will charge me "only" 65e/h what will make, if there is no issue, the swap work close to 600-700e i guess. So here am i more than 1300e ahead an that in case i decide only to swap engines. Will be stupid if i do not prepare the new arrival with replaced main units, cleaned and little milled head and so on. That will kick my balls with another probably 2-400e.. So!? Maybe is better just to sell that one, and to buy 2.0CT turbo xantia and just to remap the ECU and add little more boost from the turbo to get it close to 170hp and then hit the road Jack ... Though VTS motor is much nicer with... turbo :)))