c5 exclusive parking sensors......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

c5 exclusive parking sensors......

Post by deano1970 »

ok,
so I have now got myself a 2.2 se exclusive and am very pleased with it,never seen so much service history........one thing to note, looking in the book, it says if the parking sensors when reverse is engaged, makes a short beep,followed by a long beep,this indicates a fault.....does anybody know what this is?? is it a big job?? not having it looked at yet,but thinking of getting it done eventually,if the cost isn't excessive?? cheers............
C5 X7
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: c5 exclusive parking sensors......

Post by VertVega »

You can see the parking sensors "round black buttons" in the lower parts of the front and rear bumpers. Each one has an electric plug and can be replaced individually. Check out for pics for example from ebay.

I didn't have problems with them yet but if I were to find the broken one I would have measured the resistances with a multimeter.

Edit: just checked it and the price was surprising :shock:
Same sensors are used in PEUGEOT 307 308 407 RCZ PARTNER CITROEN C4 C5 C6
PSA 9663821577
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

I had a similar intermittent problem with my C5. Is this problem intermittent with you or every single time you engage reverse regardless of how far away the back of the car is from obstructions?

A simple tip I picked up on this site was to use a screwdriver as a stethoscope. The metal part touching each sensor in turn on the back of the car while holding the plastic handle to your ear. If all is good then you should hear a rapid clicking sound.

Mine was an intermitent fault with the gearbox, because the car had been hardly used by previous owner I suspected the switch was sometimes sticking. I replaced the auto gearbox oil and the frequency gradually reduced till a few weeks later all was peachy and reverse sensors working properly :-)
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Bandit12 wrote:A simple tip I picked up on this site was to use a screwdriver as a stethoscope. The metal part touching each sensor in turn on the back of the car while holding the plastic handle to your ear. If all is good then you should hear a rapid clicking sound.
That's a very good tip, thanks 8-)
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

mine seems to be all the time though I have only had it two days so not used it much only for work,but has been every time so far... I will try the trick with the screw driver.does that need to be with the ignition on and car in reverse?? cheers for the tip :)
C5 X7
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I think ignition on and in reverse for the activation of the rear sensors.

To my surprise I "discovered" that while waiting at the traffic lights (manual gearbox), a pedestrian walking close enough to the front bumper causes parking sensor alarm in the display with the alarm sound :) I found out this feature in Paris. Rear sensors were not activated at traffic lights even though sometimes there were people crossing the street close to rear bumper.

Edit: Thanks for the below comment vborovic. I'm adding this information that it's manual gearbox :)
Last edited by VertVega on 08 Nov 2013, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

On the C5 X7, the front parking sensors are active while in the Drive mode (automatic gearbox, I'm not sure how it works with the manual one), while driving slower than 6mph (both forward and in reverse, the waiting for the traffic light might be considered maneuvering, that's why a pedestrian triggered it) ... the rear sensors of course get activated while in Reverse ...
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

So if they click they are working. How easy is it to determin why sensors aren't working.?
C'est pas possible!
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

gave it a quick try last night but it was cold, I couldn't hear clicking form any of the sensors?? some of the service history mentions the problem but it hasn't been acted on......I think I can probably manage without them but would be nice to have them working.....also,the sat nav works fine but looks quite old,which it is (02)..is there any way to update it with new discs etc?? cheers...... :)
C5 X7
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Depending on the navigation unit in your car, you could find newer maps (maybe even newer software) on gpsunderground

EDIT: I'm guessing the fuse (the one that would relate to the parking sensors) is alright on your car ...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

also,the sat nav works fine but looks quite old,which it is (02)..is there any way to update it with new discs etc?? cheers...... :)
Just get a TomTom, u cannot do post code searches with the RD2 SatNav, maps are poor graphically (cannot be upgraded) and no speed trap warnings. I do not miss mine at all after car change.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Don't use your brothers satnav, you could end up just about anywhere except where you hoped to be :twisted:
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

I'm guessing the fuse (the one that would relate to the parking sensors) is alright on your car ...
well, according to the handbook,it's F24 and is for air con, parking assistance,instrument panel,and that is working so I guess the fuse must be fine....
C5 X7
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

I've got the same year car as you with the same old sat nav. Upgrades appear limited tho there are some floating about on Fleabay but I'm new to citroens too so really couldnt vouch for them. Re the sensors, was the ignition on, car in reverse BUT engine off ?(for safety as being squashed by your own car may ruin your suit as well as your street cred :-) )

If not then try it again. Other question is has your car got a tow bar fitted because the sensors may have been disconnected or rewired.

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes. car ignition was on, and in reverse,engine was obviously not running....I seem to remember the picasso at work did the same a while back, short,then long beep,then it was working again,now it does the same as my C5? anyway, I need to get radius arm bearings repaired before even starting to worry about the parking sensors, just like to have everything working that is on the car?? :)
C5 X7