Finally got me a Lexia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dawsy 22
My Cars:

Finally got me a Lexia

Post by dawsy 22 »

Hi again all having taken delivery of a lexia today i set about resetting my various error codes,there anywhere where i can find what the readings on the live data screen should look like i have gone into the injection ecu and view all of the values but these mean nothing if you dont know what the values should be,I have to say i bought my lexia from JJDiagnostics and they gave me excellent customer service with remote installation on one of my laptops and then supplying another laptop for use on the C5 Iwould highly recommend this company nothing seemed like to much trouble for them.All i have to do is learn how to get the best out of it
Thanks Ian
micky707
My Cars:

Re: Finally got me a Lexia

Post by micky707 »

Did you get the Lexia 3?
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Yeah its a lexia 3 with diagbox and pp2000
Thanks Ian
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I think I got the same last week Ian.. from JJ

I don't know yet what some of the info means really..
There are some screens on another post of mine, showing my readings for my HDi 2.0 . at least you can compare..?

John
ps, are you anywhere near Taffy.. He in Swindon
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Cheers for that John i will take a look and yes I am about 20 miles from taffy i was reading his posts earlier and was wishing i knew a bit more about this tool so I could offer him some assistance.Also mine is a 2.2 .
Thanks Ian
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

ahh ok Ian. that's very kind of you..
Taffy seems to know his wayt around the engines, you could help each other maybe?

Probably worth taking a few pics from yours in case anyone knows what the data means etc.. (I did try to use some screencast software with mine yesterday - to capture the screen as a video) but the lexia software doesn't seem to allow that as such..

John

edit.

Unless it already exists, a user manual, or even just typical values expected and what it may mean if values aren't as expected, would be good.. for an Hdi and a petrol engine maybe..
possibly the scope would be too much, with so many models and ages of cars now and in the future..
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

I agree a manual would be good or like you say a list of expected values at a given rpm I would of thought its out there somewhere we just kneed the right person to read these posts
Thanks Ian
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I though Lexia showed you expected good values on the live parameters screen. Highlight a particular parameter and hit the help (or question mark?) button and it should show you. Been a while since I used mine though!
2003 Xsara HDi 110 - Commuting Hack

http://www.rossy.org.uk/ - 205 Track car progress
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Not wanting to be critical but the Lexia is only a diagnostic/measurement tool, no different to a multimeter or oscilloscope. Would you expect a booklet to come with a multimeter explaining how to use a multimeter to diagnose a specific fault in a piece of complex equipment ? No. You would expect documentation on how to switch it on and off and select different ranges, and where to plug the probes in.

A Lexia can pull all kinds of detailed live data from the ECU's but interpreting what that means is up to a human being, and does require a fair bit of understanding of how the engine should work to know what readings might be reasonable and what might be suspect. It's not going to diagnose the fault for you and say "replace this part".

"Expected values" isn't that helpful (or possible) for many parameters - what's the expected value for injection time ? Depends on the throttle opening, coolant temp, air temp, engine rpm, engine load etc... some of the parameters do list expected values on the F6 screen but they are usually maximum limits, that doesn't mean a value between those limits is 100% ok for a given circumstance.

Your best bet is to post a thread (if you haven't already) detailing what the problems are you're having and those familiar with that engine may be able to make suggestions of what specific readings to check.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Agree with the above - but Lexia will show expected good values for given parameters in the help section.
2003 Xsara HDi 110 - Commuting Hack

http://www.rossy.org.uk/ - 205 Track car progress
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Cheers for the comments fellas I will have to keep learning how to use this fantastic bit of kit ,my main area is to find out whether the turbo is working correctly and to see if the electrovalves are working as they should
Thanks Ian
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

hi dawsey,
if your having turbo problems is it lack of turbo as in guttless throughout the revs? or overboost problems where the car goes into limpmode under hard accelleration?
the way u can tell is have lexia running with a passinger and go for a spin,get the live boost psi figure whilst you floor it,it should stay around a bar or 14-15 psi,any more then it could be overboost where either the electrovalve is faulty or the actuator arm on the turbo is seizing up(this has happened to me) underboost and either a fault with a vaccum hose,electrovalve or actuator or a split induction pipe as in the turbo rubber hoses..it does happen...its prob a vac pipe leaking tbh...on my car i have two boost gauges one for boost and one for the vac pressure and once u see how it operates its understandable...the electrovalve is a electronic valve that holds the vac pressure and releases it..on right side of the cylinder head u have a vaccum pump..a pipe runs from this to the electrovalve...another pipe then runs to the turbo actuator to pull the arm that shuts the wastegate on the turbo...the vac pressure from the vac pump is always the same,what regulates it is the electrovalve...when u accellelrate the maximum vac is produced to pull the actuator shut to produce the 1 bar as the revs increace so does the amount of boost being produced so what the electrovalve does it open to let some vac pressure escape thus alowing the actualtor to inturn release some psi and keep the boost rate correct...very clever really..and how it operates is by a voltage being sent from the ecu to open the valve
i would gladley help u mate dont worry bout money or out if u can get upto swindon il make u a cupa
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
antonioneves

Post by antonioneves »

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but it interest me as I have a similar problem and the explanation given by Taffy confuses me. :)

correct me please I'f I'm wrong but:

when i disconnect the vacuum feed from the EV to the turbo wastegate, the turbo spools up to 1.5 and then overboost and goes into safe mode.
which means the vacuum doesnt shut the wastegate, but opens it.

no vacuum= wastegate shut, max boost
vacuum applied= wastegate opens

which is exactly the opposite of what is explained here:
http://www.interworldna.com/pico/automo ... ontrol.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Generally, a high vacuum supply on the actuator will retracts its lever arm and increase boost, a low vacuum on the actuator allows the internal Spring to return, extend the lever arm, and reduce boost".

the guy that remaped my car says also all Variable Geometry turbos work the way mentioned below and he doesnt get why my turbo is operating as i mentioned.
A turbo repair shop I called told my turbo is very particular and yes, it operates differently than most.
Can someone enlighten me on the above? (like i'm 8 years old pls. :) )

to me this seems the remap he did is based on wrong assumptions. what I need to produce boost is acually no vac, and then later I need vac to prevent overboost. am I wrong?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

My Saab 900 Turbos had a vac hose to the closed wastegate. When boost limit was reached, vacuum was applied and it opened the wastegate, the same way as yours and many many others, including my Impreza.

Not sure he's knowing what he's talking about.

I did experiment with disconnecting the vac hose from the turbo. Bear in mind this was a pre-90s turbo. It just ran unlimited boost. Hilarious until it destroyed itself.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

well mine which is a 99 2.0 hdi is as i explained as i have boost gauges on boost and vac, at idle upto bout 2500 i get full vac meaning the actuator arm is being pulled shut to give max boost...as the revs increase above 2500+ the vac decreases to let the wastegate open to let the boost be regulated to 1 bar...
yours may well be different as u may have a different kind of turbo which i have no expeirience in
only way to find out really is to buy urself a cheapo boost gauge and connect it wwith a ,t, peice to the electrovalve pipe which runs to the actuator...then go for a drive and see how it works...tbh ive been silly and connected the two pipes to electrovalve the wrong way round and it gave me overboost which i kick myself about lol!!!
my turbo is a garret gt15 it would be handy to know what urs is and also what car/engine
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr