Foglight wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philsebborn

Foglight wiring

Post by philsebborn »

Electrics..My worst nightmare!
I have just bought a Xantia LX TD( M reg), and after the 1.7 BX TGD it just seems so much better!!
My question(s)..The xantia has been fitted with a replacement front bumper that incorporates fog lights.If i fit a switch in the dasboard, will the wiring already exist behind the facia(and behind the front bumper to plug in the foglights).Also,where do i fit the relay for the lights....Lastly,can you tell me the fuse number and location to finish it all off!!
I have looked at a Haynes manual,but simplicity would help a great deal!
This is my first posting so please excuse my ramblings...The forum is superb and helped a great deal in keeping the BX on the road!!!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I would think its very likely to be wired for front fogs, don't know where the switch would go, on later cars with both front and rear ones fitted they are both switched by the main lighting stalk.
If you have a look in the general are of the fog lights you may see the cables taped up out of the way.
I don't know where the relay is but I could probably find it without too much trouble on my chariot.
What year is your motor.
Dave
philsebborn

Post by philsebborn »

Hi Dave,
The car is a 1995 M-reg, so pre face-lift.I know that the switch should be fitted to the right of the steering column, but to get to it you have to remove the air-bag,steering wheel etc, and I thought I might save myself some grief by a little forward planning!!
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Having spent some time poking around behind the front bumper of my own '95 Xantia LX TD, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the foglight wiring is present. I can't imagine them not doing the dashboard bit either, although I've yet to get round to taking my instrument panel out. I would assume that they use a standard wiring loom and just leave out the bits not fitted to any particular model. If no one else answers the relay question before the weekend I'll have a look at the box in my 2.0i SX, which has the fogs as standard, and let you know which one(s?) it is. The fuse number and rating ought to be in the handbook.
Stu.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Front fog relay is in the engine compartment fuse box, green 30 amp on the air filter side of the box, on a 97'er that is.
Haven't looked for the fuse for them but that should be easey to find.
Why they should use a relay for the front fog's and none for the headlights is............well its citroen so nuff said.
Dave
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Having recently had the dashboards out of a couple of Xantias recently, I've noticed that there has been wiring for switches attached to the back of the blanking plates. So to save yourself the hassle of removing the steering wheel etc, try gently levering the plates out from the front, you may save yourself quite a lot of work. The plates only pushout from behind anyway.
philsebborn

Post by philsebborn »

Just to say thanks for the help!!
Problem solved, and working fogs!!