Couriers, and Non-delivery: Comments invited

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Couriers, and Non-delivery: Comments invited

Post by Xantidote »

Sorry, I know it's not exactly Citroen, but.......

Beginning of last week, I expected a virtually unused wheel & tyre to be delivered to the house, purchased on eBay from company down south. Come the end of the week, nothing, and I then finally managed to access the tracking details, which said goods had been delivered early in the week, and the delivery "carded". I assume "carded" means a card put through the door?

I was in all week, specifically to be there for the delivery. There was no card in my letterbox, and no goods were delivered to me. Nothing's been signed for, and my 2 subsequent telephone calls to City-Link's Customer Care have not yet got a response/revealed whereabouts of package/delivery of my package. So I have now submitted an on-line complaint and await reaction.

Queries for you:
Do courier items regularly go missing?
If an item goes missing, how long before it's deemed "lost"
Do missing items turn up a long time later on?
How do I get recompense?
Legally, is my contract with the vendor, rather than the courier (P & P was included in the Buy-it-Now price)?
Am I being unreasonable to expect at least some sort of response by now, since my first call to Customer Care was 1st November?

Thanks guys
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Couriers, and Non-delivery: Comments invited

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Your Ebay seller is responsible for the delivery and only he can make a claim against the courier as it's he who has contracted them.

You need to start an 'item not received' claim in the Ebay system, click on 'customer support' and then 'resolution centre' at the top of the home page and go from there.

Items do go missing on occasion, some of the couriers use housewives on pocket money jobs to make the deliveries but it's not a regular occurrence in my experience, I've had just one go astray since I joined Ebay years ago.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Moved to French Car Chat :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

thought it might get hijacked (I mean :) moved)
Martin

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The hijacking comes later Martin :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Just had the same with Citylink, an engine part (It would have fitted through the letterbox) marked as delivered to a neighbour on the 31/10, both ourselves and the neighbours were in at the stated time, the courier also gave a spurious name for the neighbour he alleges to have spoken to ?, no card through either letterbox, the ebay seller replaced the part FOC.
Whatever you do take out insurance to the value, I have had good performance from my local Hermes agent.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Never really had any "non delivery" problems, but Parcelforce are just about impossible to talk to if you are not in for a delivery. You can talk for half an hour to a machine, but people seem to be a non existent commodity.
I took a parcel in for a neighbour recently and expected the Parcelforce driver to put a note through her door saying where he had left her goods. She came home around 4.30pm and hadn't come to collect by 7pm. It was chucking it down with rain and I was thinking "cheeky cow, expects me to deliver the parcel while she stays dry", bit I eventually donned the raincoat and toddled over to her house. She was surprised, and searched the hallway and garage for a note, but there wasn't one. I signed the screen gizmo for the parcel, but I could have signed anything, and I'm pretty sure it's not a legal commitment to sign a blank screen with no name or address on it. As I say, I've not had any problems personally, but complaints are legion. Too many parcels and too tight a schedule for the drivers. It's a difficult one, but ebay have a procedure as has been said. Don't leave it to see if it turns up, get onto it right away. Hope you get it sorted.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Both my wife and I have been receiving deliveries for our separate businesses for over 25 years. Parcels do go astray occasionally - it's always the senders responsibility. We know someone who worked as a City Link delivery driver for a short while; the schedules were sometimes impossible because the drivers have to cover their patch twice: 'before noon' deliveries in the morning and collections (regular customers) in the afternoon before close of business. To make matters worse, City Link is a franchise - each franchisee gets an area to 'work'. Drivers get paid by the day, regardless of how many hours they work. Newest driver gets the hardest patch and the crappiest van. A couple of weeks ago, I pointed out to a City link driver that he had just driven through No Entry signs the wrong way up a Pedestrian Precinct, his answer "I'm new, the regular driver has left and I'm hours behind." He was indeed, delivering a 'before noon' parcel to the wife's shop after 2 p.m. - last week it was someone different (but equally scruffy and surly). It's nor surprising that some drivers 'lose' parcels, particularly if the address is remote or hard to find.

The most professional (and expensive) carriers, like UPS, keep their drivers for years which helps ensure prompt delivery of undamaged parcels.

We can all help ourselves with home deliveries by making sure that our house NUMBER (or name if there really isn't a number) is both easily visible and readable from the driver's seats of trucks vans and cars and hassle our local highways authority if the road isn't adequately signed. I've wasted over an hour trying to find a farm that was out of sight way up a muddy track through an anonymous (and shut) field gate - and I'd got all morning, if necessary, to find the one place.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Thanks for all your comments, guys - very useful. I have in fact already raised a "Case" with both City-Link & eBay. The vendor wasn't particularly happy, as he'd seen the City-Link tracking report that it had been carded & delivered. Being retired, I'd have been happy to take City-Link to the Small Claims Court, but as confirmed by Gibbo, I've no contract with City-Link.

Maybe someone was attracted to the wheel/tyre, as they'd been on a car as a spare and hardly used. Looked pristine. Probably will never know what happened.

Based on this experience, City-Link's not a company I shall ever consider using. By coincidence, last week I also received an item ordered from Eurocarparts, and this was delivered by UPS. No problem at all, and the female driver was pleasant and smartly dressed
Martin

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

On more than one occasion, I've been in the house when a delivery driver has walked up the path, and without any attempt to knock at the door, has put a 'sorry you were out' card through the letterbox.
On the other hand, the helpful drivers will happily accept a signed note taped to the door as authority to leave parcels in the porch (at my risk).
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have a lockable services cupboard adjacent to the front door. I leave a key in the back of the lock and a notice on the door for them to place items too large to fit the post box in the cupboard (quite large as it used to house the bin too) lock it and post the key and destroy the note.
They are covered as it is perfectly secure once the key is removed. I have found that it has worked admirably over the past year.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I've seen multiple suppliers of mine dropping CityLink lately as their couriers due to "phantom deliveries"

This isn't a new thing for them unfortunately. But in your favour eBay have certainly heard about this so the claim should be a quick one for you and the seller.

Good luck.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Weird - I followed the "Moved" link and it only showed the post over my previous one, hadn't realised there was a whole thread going on :(
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

dnsey wrote:On more than one occasion, I've been in the house when a delivery driver has walked up the path, and without any attempt to knock at the door, has put a 'sorry you were out' card through the letterbox.
On the other hand, the helpful drivers will happily accept a signed note taped to the door as authority to leave parcels in the porch (at my risk).
Had that too, but it was the Royal Mail post-woman. She parks her van at the end of the cul-de-sac and delivers to the 16 houses. I watched her coming up the drive and heard the letterbox rattle so I nipped through to see what mail I had. Just the note telling me I was out when the postman called with a parcel, and that I could collect it from the sorting office next day. I opened the door before she was out of my 15 feet drive, and asked for my parcel. Her face was a picture! She didn't have the parcel at all, it was in her van at the end of the street! I told her to go and get it . She said she would get it after she had finished in the street, but I was so bleeding annoyed I told her to get it immediately or I would report her to her manager. She went all the way back to her van and brought me the parcel, which would have gone through the letterbox! The mind boggles at the laziness and scams some people try to pull. Thing is, my car was sitting in the drive, and my living room light was on. Thick or what. :roll:
We have a new postman, although I didn't report her. I expect she asked for a different round.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

We used to have a wonderful postman, only young, very friendly, helpful and cheerful.

I said to him that if there were large items or lots of small items, to save him time just open the door and chuck them in, which he did thereafter (door never locked).

Some (-expletive removed-) drove into him when he was walking home one eventing and killed him. The whole village turned out for his funeral, he was so well thought of.

One in a million.