AX 1.4D brainteaser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

AX 1.4D brainteaser

Post by meexi »

Hi
This should get the grey matter working.
I have a 1992 Ax1.4 diesel with a problem.
Symptoms.
1. uses water but cannot find any leaks
2. no white smoke out of exhaust at any time
3. When i top up with water and bleed it with a high hose the minute i start the engine the water level rises even whith the rad cap off
4. no smell inside the cabin to indicate matrix failure or wet patches
5.still goes very well starts and runs no problem
I suspect the head gasket but any thing i might try first would be very helpfull
thanks in advance
Meexi
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Have a good close look at the hoses and fittings about 10 minutes after you stop the vehicle following a decent run (enough to warm the engine up properly.)
I have found on more than one occasion that leaks on the return side of the cooling system, from the radiator back to the pump, will not leak when the vehicle is running or immediately after it is shut down as that side of the cooling system operates at a lower pressure due to the sucking action of the pump. Once switched off, this is negated by the rising pressure within the entire system.
I have had similar problems on my BX on 2 occasions in the past couple of years and in each instance, this was where the problems eventually emerged.
Parking on some nice dry concrete and keeping an eye on it every quarter hour or so is usually the surest way of proving/disproving this theory.
Alan S
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

As Alan says, check all the hoses. I have found the hose connections at the rear of the engine (water pump and especially the thermostat/diesel filter housing) to be the worse for hose deterioration.
Do you have bubbles in the radiator/expansion tank?
My AX always blows from the combustion chamber to the water (no surprise there) first so the early signs are:
· Water usage,
· Bubbling in the radiator,
· Air pockets (that always return) and eventually
· Local overheating in the engine (making matters worse),
· Loss of interior heating (air pocket in the matrix) and
· Boiling over.
Get the coolant checked for combustion particles by a local garage/AA/RAC, that'll tell you for sure if the head gasket has gone.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

It can be a while before any real head gasket problems show. I used to do 2.5k miles a month in my AX when it was my main car and sometimes it would be months before the water usage (and associated problems) would force me to do the head gasket!
Incidentally, I never had the 'usual' water in oil or oil in water symptons of a head gasket failure (except for the last time where I delayed doing the gasket for about 7 or 8 months [}:)] and had a bit of sludge in the water towards the end).
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

As Alan says, check all the hoses. I have found the hose connections at the rear of the engine (water pump and especially the thermostat/diesel filter housing) to be the worse for hose deterioration.
Do you have bubbles in the radiator/expansion tank?
My AX always blows from the combustion chamber to the water (no surprise there) first so the early signs are:
· Water usage,
· Bubbling in the radiator,
· Air pockets (that always return) and eventually
· Local overheating in the engine (making matters worse),
· Loss of interior heating (air pocket in the matrix) and
· Boiling over.
Get the coolant checked for combustion particles by a local garage/AA/RAC, that'll tell you for sure if the head gasket has gone.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi,
Just an update.
took the cylinder head off yesterday gasket was in good condition, bores still had cross hatchings
piston crowns had a nice thin cotting of carbon.
replaced gasket and new bolts any way but seems to be showing the same problems as before any ideas would be helpful.
one thing i have noticed is that the heater sometimes blows hotter when i go round right hand corners eg roundabouts
any connections?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

That last input makes it sound like air in the system!
//NiSk
AndyGimpy
My Cars:

Post by AndyGimpy »

I had a similar Problem on a friends 1.6 petrol ZX. After checking all the hoses of which one had signs of vapor release (no actual water)from a hose connection this did help the problem but it still was happening at a reduced rate after tightening the clamp. After removing the grill checking the radiator you could see very small traces of steam (not obvious with the grill in place as it evaporated before you see it), no actual wet patch even after the car had been left and checked. Gave the radiator a bit of a flex and hey presto water emerged from where the steam was.
Good luck!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Sounds similar to the leaky radiator I had (on a Xantia). It was seeping out from the bottom of the fins but only when the engine was warm and only very slowly so most of the water evaporated on the warm radiator so never puddled.