C5 exclusive display console

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

C5 exclusive display console

Post by deano1970 »

hi all,
first time here for a while as I have no citroen at the moment...I changed it for a vectra...yikes.......anyway,I miss my citroen so I had a round trip today to go and buy a C5 exclusive 02 plate 2.2......got there and the car was ok but no centre display lit up when car started,so no radio,sat nav, trip computer,nothing.....I looked for fuses etc and couldn't find anything,then under the compartment just to the right and down from the steering wheel there was a lead,where according to the book, there should be a cd eject button etc for the sat nav disc..... does anyone know if this would be the reason for no centre display?? there was no trouble shooting section in the on board display book,and there was no handbook with it?? bit annoyed that the seller hadn't put this information about no display before I set off on my journey and I refused to buy the car as I was giving him cash plus my 04 vectra in the deal....I would have happily done this if everything worked as it should.....be grateful of anyone (which i'm sure they will) can give me some info in this??? really annoyed and I still have my vectra,which to be fair goes pretty well for having 202,000 on the clock........ just wish people would be honest when selling cars,especially if people are travelling long distances to go and look at them?? :( cheers,dean......
C5 X7
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 exclusive display console

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree....that is a sh1tty thing to do....

DO NOT Touch the car....and get a 2lt not a 2.2....Bomb-proof engine and no DPF.

Others here can give a better check list than me bit there will be a good number out there with full Sat-Nav Leather etc....

Where are you located....many here might be happy to look one over for you...or even know of a good one
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Hey leave the 2.2 alone :( mine runs great [-o< but is very looked after with all the fluids kept topped up including the additive tank.

Granted not as good mpg as the 2.0Hdi but is quicker and has more toys. I was told (not sure how true) that the 2.2 is not too far behind the v6 for performance!!! stop :rofl2:
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

If we compare the first gen C5 engines, it should be like this (wiki source):

You can see the 3.0 and 2.2 engines, they're not that wide apart in performance (data in table)
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
I am in buxton,derbyshire.....so if anyone knows of one going round here I would be grateful......I should have maybe taken more notice of the photos of the car.....this is the e bay link,it's still for sale, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-2- ... 417718115f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you look at the pics,there is one of the dash with the engine running and the display is blank,wish I had seen that before I made the trip, apart from a bit of paint damage,the car was really nice,all electric seats worked well,as did sunroof,aircon etc,folding electric mirrors......thing is, he said he rang someone and they told him the part I needed was on e bay for £75 quid but I can't seem to find it,think he was just hoping nobody would notice the display but it is a pretty important bit of the car so I wasn't buying it without it working. I was giving him a hundred quid plus my vectra but even If I offered to just do a swap, I have a feeling it would have cost me more than a hundred pounds to get the display up and running....shame cos I quite liked the car,never mind the wasted morning and wasted fuel :(
C5 X7
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

deano, here's a few links for the navigation display (if the display is broken, maybe it is just a connector going wild behind the radio/nav unit in the car) ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-20 ... 1e78fff14d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-Sa ... 58a57af876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-01 ... 5af4c60091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-SA ... 2a3381210f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly, the screen is 1/10 of the car ad price you've posted ...
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

cheers for that vborovic, i'm not entirely sure as to the problem to be honest......as I said in my original post, according to the book,in the compartment below and to the right of the steering wheel,in there should be the switch to turn the passenger air bag on and off,which it was,but also there also should have been some kind of cd player which I think the sat nav disc went in? that was missing and there was just a wire with a plug on it so something had obviously been taken out of the car,but I have no idea if that is the reason the display wasn't working?? I guess,because the battery was flat,the radio wouldn't come on because it probably needed the code but,even if we had that, we would need the display working in order to put the code in correctly? not sure it's the actual screen itself, but I don't know for sure?? a real shame cos i really liked the car :(
C5 X7
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Well, in the car pictures in the ebay link you've posted, I see there is a radio unit, so the screen should still be connected to it ... should is the keyword, of course ...
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes, I suppose it may have been a fuse that I didn't check?? I don't know,but I didn't want to risk it in case it ended up costing a lot of money to put right,like I say, a shame cos everything else worked fine........
C5 X7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It's unfortunate the battery was flat - that could give rise to more problems but the radio wouldn't be one of them, it is coded to the car. Only if you fit a new radio would it need coding and that has to be done with a Lexia.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I would just like to clarify sth ... maybe I'm stupid, but, if the battery was flat, then nothing can work in the car ... right (the electrics, hydraulics) ? You said that the situation with the car was "...all electric seats worked well,as did sunroof,aircon etc,folding electric mirrors" ... so, how was the battery flat?
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

he had to start it with one of those portable jump packs....so he got it running,and everything worked apart from the display console and the radio??
C5 X7
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Ok, now it's clear ... :D ... that leaves the possibility the screen was faulty, the cables/connectors were faulty, the appropriate fuse was blown ... either requires troubleshooting, for which you would have to go back again to the car, and spend more time with it ... depends on the seller as well, if he's aware of the problem, maybe he wouldn't allow for checking, but only allow the buy-as-seen method ... leaving you later with additional (unplanned) expenses ...
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

If it's a simple and inexpensive fix, why hasn't the seller done it? Must be easier to shift if everything works as it should.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Maybe the seller IS aware what isn't working, and the repair costs of that ... The used display is around £100, if the radio unit needs replacement as well, that's another £100-150 ...