AX Knocking...knock...knock...knock...knock...knoc

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

AX Knocking...knock...knock...knock...knock...knoc

Post by cheesesliceking »

hello![:)]
To add to my ever increasing list of strange knocks,squeeks,rattles etc, i now have another !![:(]
<font size="6"><font color="red"><center>My Problem in the Form of a Short Story</center></font id="red"></font id="size6">
<font face="Tahoma"><font color="blue"><font size="2">Imagine you are stood in front of a 1989 AX GT Black, recently waxed (2 coats of Maguiers...nice)The stonking monster of an engine seems to be idling over like a content tiger...[:p] but wait... what is that noise!?..there seems to be a knocking sound coming from the right hand side of the engine(as you stand in front of it, looking at the windscreen), so we pop the bonnet, and we hear that the knocking is coming form the right hand side of the engine..towards the gear box..[V], how strange we think.. so, with a confused & concerned look on our face we get in the little beauty & press the clutch pedal, the knocking stops!...ooohh, how strange we think..hmm very strange..we lift off the pedal.. and yes, as we suspected, the infernal & rather worrying knocking starts again..OH NO![?]
The cheesesliceking then exits the sporty little monster & wonders to himself,,, hmmm i wonder who could help me with this strange & concerning knocking noise.. He ponders to himself whilst nibbling on a packet of Quavers,, and then EUREKA!!, I'll ask those brilliant people over at the Andyspares discussion forum! they are bound to know!! YAY!![:p]
And with this he tucks in the Zetec-S Killing monster & settles down in front of the PC with a cup of tea.. and starts to type..
"www.andysp.....</font id="size2"></font id="blue"></font id="Tahoma">
<font size="5"><font color="red"><center>The End</center></font id="red"></font id="size5">
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My first bet is the clutch release bearing - indicated by disappearing noise on pedal pressed. It's very common.
cheesesliceking

Gulp! is that expensive??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

N18908 CLUTCH KIT AX 1.4 GTI 55.00
N11706 CRANKSEAL-CLUTCH END AX CLUTCH END 6.50
+vat+p&p
- as you NEVER work your troublesome way down to the clutch w/o replacing all bits - ensuring it does not kick you from behind 2 months later.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Looks like a clutch kit from GSF is £55 + VAT etc. This should include a presser plate, driven plate and the release bearing.
You may well be able to get the release bearing on it own but I doubt if you will be prepared to remove the gearbox just to fit the release bearing - its sensible to change the lot.
having said that it may well go for some time - my BX TD has been making noises which go when the clutch is presssed for some years now and its one of those jobs I'll do if I have to remove the box or something.
Jeremy<font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black">
cheesesliceking

cheers,
so does the clutch release bearing come with the clutch then? i had the clutch replaced about 300 miles ago![?]
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

It might be either clutch release bearing or the gearbox input shaft bearing thats at fault. But my zx and my dads renault laguna tend to make this knock knock knock noise whrn the engine is idling and goes, when the clutch pedal is pressed in. To be honest im not to bothered about it. But as you had the clutch changed 300 miles ago, then I would take it back to the garage concerned.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

WOT [}:)][?][?]
New clutch 300 miles [?]
That's a TOTALLY different story then CSK [:(!]
- why did'nt you inform this first off [?]
Obviously then it can't be wear problems related to the clutch [:I]
I'd say it then could be a problem related to any preload from the cabling.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

My AX rattles in a loud metal tinkling type sound and has done so for some time now[:(]. Cured by pushing down the clutch pedal or by slightly adjusting the idle (to avoid vibration)[}:)]. I assume it is the release bearing - well, it is clutch related anyway. I have been much to <s>busy</s>lazy to do anything about it yet!
cheesesliceking

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

WOT [}:)][?][?]
New clutch 300 miles [?]
That's a TOTALLY different story then CSK [:(!]
- why did'nt you inform this first off [?]
Obviously then it can't be wear problems related to the clutch [:I]
I'd say it then could be a problem related to any preload from the cabling.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I sem to have missed the new clutch out of my short story didnt i..DOH!
Its the Fumes comng into the car from the crankcase breather thats making me lose my mind..[:I]
DOH!
So can you think of anything it could be that i can can go back to the bloke that did the clutch and say..! "Oi Spanner monkey! you changed my clutch and now its rattling, i think it could be the _________"[?]
Any ideas?
its startinf to sound more like a Talbolt Sunbeam everyday...[V]