Wet through C5 MK1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Wet through C5 MK1

Post by Northern_Mike »

Not used it for a few days.

Got into it today, everything covered in a lot of condensation. Instruments dripping wet, carpets and seats damp. Pretty foul really.

Ideas? Other than those involving Swan Vestas?
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Wet through C5 MK1

Post by KennyW »

Mike,

If I have missed any earlier posting I apologise. Rubber seals around doors.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Its quite common on cars with Auto Climate control. I had this with my Xantia and my last C5.
I run my Air-Con at least once a week in the winter....I also use it for demisting in the morning
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:Its quite common on cars with Auto Climate control. I had this with my Xantia and my last C5.
I run my Air-Con at least once a week in the winter....I also use it for demisting in the morning
I run my aircon/climate all the time anyway, and for demisting every day and night. It's not just a bit of mist, I had to wipe the windows and instruments with kitchen towel beforw I could leave
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Any coolant loss ? (heater matrix)....if not then it look to the door seals, screen seal leak or a missing grommet in the bulkhead somewhere.

Is the climate control set to "recirculate cabin air" (or stuck flaps)...that will cause a misting problem but yours sounds extreme.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

mine same mike,, swan vesta's no good really

I will do a decent inspection over the weekend.,, but for sure my rear passengers got a hairwash on the way through France a fortnight ago,, the showerhead was - - I think - the ariel/interior light lol
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Guys what about a blocked drain hole in the roof channels. Similar to the Xantias.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KennyW wrote:Guys what about a blocked drain hole in the roof channels. Similar to the Xantias.

Kenny
No sunroof....
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:Its quite common on cars with Auto Climate control. I had this with my Xantia and my last C5.
I run my aircon/climate all the time anyway, and for demisting every day and night. It's not just a bit of mist, I had to wipe the windows and instruments with kitchen towel beforw I could leave
I seem to have a similar problem with the rear window on my Xantia - on a cold damp morning or evening this time of year the entire inside of the boot window will be completely wet, such that you would need a towel to dry it.

The side windows and front windscreen are completely clear (at least until I start breathing in the car, when they will start to fog...) so I don't think its the heater matrix, nor is the inside of the car damp or smelly so I'm a bit mystified as to where this moisture is coming from and why it likes the rear window so much...as far as I know this car has no water leaks, touch wood. It's been through car washes and heavy rain without the slightest sign of water ingress anywhere...

10 minutes with the rear demister running and its completely gone so its not a big deal, but I don't remember my last Xantia doing this.

Edit: my recirculate control is stuck, but I don't know if its stuck in fresh, recirculate or part way between them. (I think part way between)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

An awful lot of water can hide under the boot carpet without you knowing about it Simon....!
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:An awful lot of water can hide under the boot carpet without you knowing about it Simon....!
Really ? There's no foam under the boot carpet like the front carpets though is there ?

I would have thought with the parcel tray permanently fitted (its a hatchback remember :) ) that any moisture wouldn't find its way from the carpet up to the window anyway, and if it did, why not condense on all the windows ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Under the boot carpet is dry as a bone. This morning, to elaborate...

Both front windows dripping condensation.
Rear passenger windows misted badly
Rear window misted.
Windscreen sopping. Needed wiping off with lots of kitchen paper. Dried out quick enough once the AC kicked in.
Door cards damp with condensation
Seats a bit damp
Steering wheel - worn anyway, leaking goo all over me. Drove from petrol station to Heathrow wearing diesel pump gloves!

"Top up engine coolant" came on at Heathrow 39 miles away. So I did. Came on 50 miles later.

During this time it drove ok and averaged 53mpg.

If anyone wants this cheap to take it on -don't forget it's outwardly nice and has 10 months MOT, new clutch, belts, filters etc.. then give me enough to buy Vince's old Xantia and take it away from me!

I just want the car to go away!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

WOW you dooooo seem to have a Friday Afternoon car there m8....I feel for you and understand your feeling towards it.

As a temp measure, dump a load of Barrs Leak sealer in it to see if that stops the heater leak....not often asked on internet about C%^ matrix leaking...I take it it is a SOAB to get at as well :)....BIG Bummer.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pleas don't use Barrs or anything like it - the only thing you should risk is Forte Cooling System Stop Leak - honestly. All the others as far as we are aware form sludge that can and does cause more problems than it solves - check Jim's description of the auto gearbox stripdown.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I don't intend to spend a penny on the bl00dy thing to be brutally frank. It's wasted enough of my money and effort already.

If someone would take if off my hands, that would be nice - it would make a nice "project" as it does drive very nicely, and most things kind of work, , the body is good, the tyres are very good, the belts are all done.

One side of the dual-zone climate is temperamental. It has been working, and sometimes it's stuck on hot. It's working at the moment stuck on 21, so it is staying set to that! The gauges are all mad, apart from the speedometer. It is very damp in the morning inside on cold days, could be something serious, might not be. It's got loads of MOT and tax. It uses a litre of coolant around every 600 miles. Where this is going is a mystery.

I'm simply not prepared to spend any more on it.