xantia hdi no power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

naeluckwifrenchcars

xantia hdi no power

Post by naeluckwifrenchcars »

Hi all,I swapped the injectors on my Hdi 109 Xantia exclusive for ones from a Hdi 90,the 90 is now long gone and I didn't keep a note of the original part numbers. My question is How do I find out which are the right injectors f or my car??It is a 2000 W reg Xantia Hdi109 exclusive with an rhz engine code.Also how many parts from an rhy engine will fit an rhz engine as some fleabayers say the parts fit both Citroen and Peugeot ,also are parts from a Citroen rhz engine interchangeable with a Peugeot rhz engine,many thanks in advance,jim.Would also like to know if there is anyone in the Glasgow area with a Lexia who could help me out with a diagnostic check to see what is causing my lack of power
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: xantia hdi no power

Post by citroenxm »

Is it a fueling problem??? is my first question!

Secondly.. Are you CERTAIN the turbo wastegate electro valve is funtioning properly, and NOT holding the wastegate wide open therefore not directing any Turbo boost to the engine???

HDi 90 and HDi 110 Fuel systems are identical! Ive just put a set of 90bhp injectors in my 110bhp and normal service has resumed for me.

To check for correct turbo operation, with the engine on idle, open the bonnet, find the throttle sensor, which is just inder the side of the LHM tank under the air inlet pipe.

Get you hand between it to the spindle, and rev the engine up! While you do this WATCH The intercooler pipe along the front of the engine, IF is Sucks Inwards then theres no turbo boost getting through.. the intercooler pipe SHOULD expand under turbo pressure good enough to visually see it....

The wastegate is controlled by one of the electro valves up by the drivers side sphere... theres two of them. One goes to the EGR valve, the other the turbo.

Have a go at the first.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
naeluckwifrenchcars

Hi citroenxm,Many thanks for the fast reply.I tried what you said and the pipe does indeed suck in and then almost immediately goes back to normal,but I don't see any expansion of the pipe.The last time I came on,someone suggested swapping the electrovalves over (as the egr valve had been blanked off) which I did and it seemed to have more power so in my infinite wisdom(lol)I revved to see if it would go any higher than 3500rpm ,I finally coaxed it up to 5000 and kept it there for a little while to see if it would clear whatever was ailing it,schoolboy error as eml light came on and am now back where I started with the fancy hairdo the wife doesn't like,any help would be greatly appreciated.The top end is quite rattly and not sure if this has anything to do with it,thanks jim
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Its not a case of anything clearing, its a semi electronic fault on the electro valve unit.

You'll need a replacment... Here THIS ONE will do for you even though it says EGR it will do the same job...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
naeluckwifrenchcars

Many thanks citroenxm,I will let you know how I get on,regards jim.
ps I also noticed that when I put the heater on the stop light and the red light in the temperature gauge flash and the lack of power seems more noticable(may just be a good imagination)many thanks jim.
naeluckwifrenchcars

Hi guys,finally got a bit of dry weather to fit my new turbovalve,now have the intercooler pipe blowing out,BUT a serious lack of power and smoke(turbo goosed I guess)am still waiting for another electric pump to arrive,if it makes a difference to the power,I could live without the turbo.I did notice that if I accelerate gently,it will speed up steadily but if I accelerate hard it doesn't want to know(probably the reason it wouldn't climb any steep hills with a caravan behind)Any hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated,many thanks in advance,jim
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Smoke! Then thats a split intercooler pipe then... they split at the top just before it goes into the manifold.. it only needs a tiny split to produce a fair bit of smoke and no power...

It useually splits on the underside too so you can see it. The hint is a haze covering of oil that looks like dampness..the intercooler pipes are available at 110 pounds.. but i found on mine if the split is right at the top theres enough pipe to cut it back and re fit it as a temperary measure. The only issue then is the engine cover wont fit back on.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

MAF? Can check by substituting with a known good one, or putting it on a Lexia, and checking the air flow.
Richard W
naeluckwifrenchcars

Many thanks for the quick replies guys.Are the MAF sensors the same on the 109hdi and the 90hdi??should also add it ran much better when I put the old electrovalve back on,many thanks in advance,jim
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Yes the air flow box's are exactley the same..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
naeluckwifrenchcars

Hi citroenxm,many thanks,jim
naeluckwifrenchcars

Hi Guys,many many thanks for all the replies especially citroenxm. I won a fairly new pump from ebay last week,it arrived today and what a difference straight up to 4000rpm without a hiccup.Acceleration much faster than the snail I had before,but I did notice some diesel on top of the pump when I went to change it so I am wondering if the pump wasn't secure could that have been my problem all along.Once again guys you were all brilliant,so many thanks to you all,jim.
ps forgot to say there was no smoke that I could see,so I may try the electrovalve again(but not today or not if it does ok with the caravan)