ZX front suspension knock on reverse

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

teabag
My Cars:

ZX front suspension knock on reverse

Post by teabag »

Hi,
when I start to reverse in my '94 ZX 1.9D, I get a noticable knock, almost like some play is being taken up. Going forwards, there is nothing. It feels like something is worn. Before ripping it apart, is this a classic, known problem with ZXs. I'm wondering if its strut bearings or lower ball joins.
Advice gratefully received.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This may well be the same knock BX owners experience when they stop, then reverse. The noise in their case is caused by a slight looseness in the front calipers. When they brake, going forward, the brake pads are pushed to the bottom of the caliper. Then when they reverse, the pads are dragged to the top, causing a knock. If this is the source of your noise, then it's nothing to worry about.
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

My 95 ZX td is starting to develop this knock too. It feels too substantial to be pads moving in calipers. I suspect a bush somewhere on lower nsf but haven't had a good prod around yet.
kaspar
My Cars:

Post by kaspar »

hi
my zx does this too, only when reversing and only on the right hand front side. It feels it is the brake, had a quick look but could find nothing strange. I'd be intesrested if you find out anything more about this.
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

Scouring the archives I found this previous post - I too get this on my ZX 1.9D, and had planned investigating as it sounds pretty mean!
Someone must have found the cause at some point?[?]