Replacement of housing-seal of Bosch VE Dieselpump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigjim
My Cars:

Replacement of housing-seal of Bosch VE Dieselpump

Post by bigjim »

Currently working on my Xantia 1.9TD (1997- 500.000 KM) dieselpump.
It leaks in winter, therefor I want to replace the seal in between the upper aluminium body, containing the gashandle axle and the pump housing.
I got stuck now due to a cover over the solenoid. I do NOT need to get to this solenoid, but this anti-theft cover now does not allow me to remove 2 of the 4 screws that holds the top part of the aluminium housing.
Does anyone have experience to do this while the pump is in the car? Can I grind of the edges only of the cover with a Dremel.
Any tricks of the trade are most welcome!

The anti-theft cover is visible on the right hand side of the pump (taken before I commenced):

Anti-theft cover as seen from the outlet-side of the pump (One screw removed, one rivet-screw visible, other is below outside of this picture):
Last edited by bigjim on 22 Oct 2013, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Previous:
Citroen BX 1.9 D - Break - Upto 320.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.9 D - Break - Upto 360.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.1 - Upto 220.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.6 - Upto 280.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.4 TX - Upto 240.000 Kms
Current: Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD - Break - 500.000 Kms and going
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Replacement of housing-seal of Bosch VE Dieselpump

Post by KennyW »

Welcome to the forum Bigjim,

I used a dremel with a diamond cutting blade to put a notch in the head of the screw and turned same with a screwdriver.

Also have had to used a persuader (small chisel and hammer) and gentle tap it to move then screwdriver.

I have thread from 4 years ago about my struggles with the pump, citrojim is the authority on all things fuel pumps. He has a thread about same as well worth a read.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

yea i remeber getting that of one of my old cars...took me (-expletive removed-) ages!! and all because one of those wires going into it had snapped!
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
bigjim
My Cars:

Post by bigjim »

KennyW wrote:Welcome to the forum Bigjim,

I used a dremel with a diamond cutting blade to put a notch in the head of the screw and turned same with a screwdriver.

Also have had to used a persuader (small chisel and hammer) and gentle tap it to move then screwdriver.

I have thread from 4 years ago about my struggles with the pump, citrojim is the authority on all things fuel pumps. He has a thread about same as well worth a read.

Kenny
Thanks Kenny!
Yes, this worked thus was a good idea, used a circular blade as delivered with the Dremel. I was able to cut into two bolts. By hammering with a chisel they came loose and could be turned out easily.
After removing a hexagon (allen) bolt and a torx bolt at the back I could give the cover even more play. But it will not go out until the bracket plate is taken away. I released the nut at the bottom where it is connected to the engine. And also another (....) torx bolt. But it seems there are another two rivet-type bolts to be taken out. :(
Not there yet.
Previous:
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Awful job! had to do one a few years ago after replacing an engine, why I had not thought of it while the thing was lying on the floor :idea:
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jim, I'm sorry, I'm a bit late to the party here... You have already received some excellent advice.

However, my rebuild guide here may still be of some use.

One method I've used in the past is a hammer drill running backwards with a small masonry drill that's just bigger than pilot holes drilled in the bolt heads. It works like an impact gun...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Jim,

The cover plate is held on by the bolts but also a small pin which is the pain to remove.
I'll find my photos and post them up.

Kenny
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Jim,

and

and the pin :!:

Pump 4 shows where pin is place in armour, please note pump removed for clarity :-D
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
bigjim
My Cars:

Post by bigjim »

I finalised the replacement of the seals, bush and o-ring. I did spend lots of hours. Mainly due to the badly accible little bolts and also the armoured cover. I worked with a grinder in the car, with lots of sparks, I hate that. Later used the Dremel as stated to make a groove for a normal flat big screw-driver.
There were 5 of these ant-theft bolts.
Anyway, I took some pictures so if anyone is interested please let me know.
So after assembly of the pump, and being my first work on a diesel-pump, I was very nervous if the engine would ever run again. Well it did and I took the Xantia for a test-drive.
After a 10 Km drive I parked the car in front of my garage and inspected the engine-compartment with the engine running. I noticed that there were drops falling from the bottom of the diesel-pump onto the lowerpart of the engine block. So... my work seem to be in vane. Although a doctor would say I have just excluded one possibility of the leak.
I am quite convinced that the leak is not in the upper aluminium cover. The seal has been replaced and everything is dry. About 1 drop of Diesel is produced (leaked) per 30 seconds with a stationary engine.
Since I cannot manouvre my head under the diesel-pump it is difficult to see where it might be coming from. My camera can get lower so I let it take a picture.
Here is one with a diesel-drop just about to fall...
I am interested in a suggestion were this comes from. I can imagine the sensor on the right, is not sealed right (what does this sensor do by the way?). Or the distribution end head has a faulty seal. Or there might be a seal at the back.
Previous:
bigjim
My Cars:

Bosch Dieselpump leaking

Post by bigjim »

I finalised the replacement of the seals, bush and o-ring of my Xantia 1.9 TD. I did spend lots of hours. Mainly due to the badly accessible little bolts and also the armoured cover. I worked with a grinder in the car, with lots of sparks, I hate that. Later used the Dremel as stated to make a groove for a normal flat big screw-driver.
There were 5 of these ant-theft bolts.
Anyway, I took some pictures so if anyone is interested please let me know.

So, after assembly of the pump, and being my first work on a diesel-pump, I was very nervous if the engine would ever run again. Well it did and I took the Xantia for a test-drive.
After a 10 Km drive I parked the car in front of my garage and inspected the engine-compartment with the engine running. I noticed that there were drops falling from the bottom of the diesel-pump onto the lowerpart of the engine block. So... my work seem to be in vane. Although a doctor would say I have just excluded one possibility of the leak.
I am quite convinced that the leak is not in the upper aluminium cover. The seal has been replaced and everything is dry. About 1 drop of Diesel is produced (leaked) per 30 seconds with a stationary engine.
Since I cannot manouvre my head under the diesel-pump it is difficult to see where it might be coming from. My camera can get lower so I let it take a picture.
Here is one with a diesel-drop just about to fall...

I am interested in a suggestion were this comes from. I can imagine the sensor on the right, is not sealed right (what does this sensor do by the way?). Or the distribution end head has a faulty seal. Or there might be a seal at the back. Can anyone give an opinion on what this could be, or proably is.
Previous:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jim, that sensor is not a sensor but the timing actuator. It's basically an electronically controlled injector that feeds diesel to the timing device piston to control its movement hydraulically. It's sealed with a big O ring.

So what seals exactly did you replace?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Bosch Dieselpump leaking

Post by Xaccers »

Those are the control wires for the timing electrovalve which is under the cap in the center of the photo.
It moves back and forth inside making small adjustments to the timing depending on signals from the lift sensor on No3 injector and the TDC sensor behind the gearbox.

Edit: The merge threads tool has been getting a lot of exercise recently.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

BigJim,

Could it be the seal at the distributor head leaking very slightly as this could have been disturbed when you were removing the body armour :?:

I'm sure Citrojim will confirm same.

Here's a photo of head removed from body of pump.

Kenny
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
bigjim
My Cars:

Post by bigjim »

Thanks all for your input in this. (Xac, Jim, Kenny)
I have replaced the housing seal (the almost rectangular one), the bush of the accelerator lever and the O-Ring of the axle of the accelerator. This because I noticed diesel on top of the vertical flat part where the type-number is punched/engraved into, and on most of the forums people were pointing to this. I think now remains three possible/plausible causes. The 1) O-ring on the side under a cover, 2) the O-ring around the distributor head, 3) the O-ring at the Timing Actuator (as you guys pointed out to me) 4) The O-Ring at the back under a cover.
Since I would like to leave the pump in the car if possible, I really would like to replace the faulty part, due to accessibility.

Question; So, does anyone of you know a more scientific approach to get to the right conclusion to which seal it is?
I am thinking no to clean with a lot of tissue. Bind a tissue arround the bottom and taking it off after a minute. The source should be indicated by the wet spot. Not sure if this would work.

If I look to the picture I would reckon that this process has been going on for a while, the build up of dirt is larger at the end of the pump. That would point to the Timing Actuator or the Distributor. I suppose these two can be replaced in situ. There is a video on youtube of an american guy taking the distributor-head off by sliding it out slightly.
Previous:
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Jim,

Check the distributor head for any loose nuts and tighten any which are loose. This may cure your problem.

It is possible to remove the head but there are springs at the back which could fall down causing grief.

Kenny
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)