Xantia Plip's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

EDD

Xantia Plip's

Post by EDD »

The spare plip I was given with the car never worked so I reprogrammed it my self (pointing it at the sensor in the roof with another key in the ignition switch ). Worked fine, however my other plip does'nt work now, any idea's.<b></b>
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

AFAIK both of plips have to be (re)programmed at the same time!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Simple, its not the plips that are reprogramed, its the memory in the car that has the code changed, so your plips are of a different code, you can use one or the other but not both together.
Dave
EDD

Post by EDD »

Thanks Dave I was thinking that myself after trying a few thousand times.ha ha.
EDD
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Apparently some control units fitted to Xantia's will register 2 plips, but you have to program them almost simulatenously, ie fire one then fire the other at the sensor within a couple of seconds. After turning the ignition off you may find both will work.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I have two plips and one service key which is "plipless".
If you have a service key you can use that in the ignition and point your two plips at the sensor and programme them both at the same time. If you ain't got a service key I'm not sure what you can do.
My second plip hadn't worked for ages then I asked the question here and was told how to get it working. I got my second plip to work and then the first plip wouldn't work, just as you describe. The solution was to turn the ignition with my third "service" key. I guess I'm lucky to have a service key.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The solution is to get a 'plip key fitting kit' from Citroen which is the pin running through the plip that the key pivots upon. The kit costs about £2 and also contains the piece of tin that locks the key in either a locked or open position, should your key have become 'flacid' in the plip. To remove the old pin the best way is to use a small drill.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I'll have you know that I've never had a flaccid plip in my life. (Although they tell me it's nothing to be ashamed of, it just happens sometimes.) The problem with both of my plips is that they've had a tendency to break apart in the middle. The tiny screw that holds the two halves together just breaks out the internal plastic tab that it screws into, and bob's your monkey, it all falls apart and your keys fall off, leaving you holding just the top half of the plip and feeling stupid.
Fortunately there's usually been just enough plastic left on the tab to be able to refit the screw in a slightly different place. But you only get one shot at it, and both my plips have been repaired like this now. Am I the only person having this problem?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Mike, I'm pleased to hear that you aren't suffering from a flacid plip.
However if you want to solve the problem of a disintegrating plip, then Citroen do sell the cases seperate although I believe they charge about £6 each, you will also need the fitting kit on top of that (£2).