I know I am going to get some stick for this

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I know I am going to get some stick for this

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,

I have a car with a leaky gearbox and i am going to try one of the highly recommended American
addatives called Tri-seal gearbox seal reconditioner.
I shall report back when it does or doesnt work, I am not expecting any miracles, but hey they say it works usually after 200 miles have been covered.

I know I'm going to get some stick for this and a new seal is always better than a bodge but what the heck I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

regards Nigel. 8-[
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: I know I am going to get some stick for this

Post by citronut »

dont these oil leak fix potions just swell any seals up???
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Hello Malcolm,

You are well I hope?

Yes apparently that is what they are supposed to do and they are really only a short term fix
but some mug has got to try it haven't they.
We shall see, there are a variety available that say they have special polimers in to soften rubber seals
but are only available in the states, this one is from the US and apparently 4 x 4 people have been using it to seal mainshaft gearbox seals that drip oil, so as apposed to trying wynns gearbox addative and sealer from the UK and having no results at all I thought I'd give ths one a try. if it does work
it will certainly be interesting, I am al ittle concerned that the car wont make it to a garage to be repaired so I'll try this first which is a lot cheaper than hiring a trailer and see what happens.
Regards
Nigel. ps I'll be glad when 2013 ends #-o
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nigel, consider stick duly given :twisted: I generally don't do additives of any sort except as a matter of absolute last resort and only then to tide me over.
citronut wrote:dont these oil leak fix potions just swell any seals up???
Yup.

To be honest Nigel, if the 'box is leaking from the driveshaft seals then it's such an easy job to replace them that it’s pointless even considering any snake oil preparations to fix it.

Perhaps if it's leaking from the mainshaft seal then maybe.

Anyway , if this is on your car with a duff cam then the engine will be coming out anyway so there's the ideal time to do it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I put something similar in the Jeep Cherokheap I had a while ago because of a seal leak. It stopped leaking, much to my amazement. I didn't buy the stuff, someone gave it me and convinced me to try it. I'm not a fan of additives and probably wouldn't use it in anything other than an old Heep with nothing to lose.

This is the same Heep that had a nasty top-end rattle, that I fixed by draining a litre of oil out of it, and putting a litre of diesel in the oil and driving it around for a few days!..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote: This is the same Heep that had a nasty top-end rattle, that I fixed by draining a litre of oil out of it, and putting a litre of diesel in the oil and driving it around for a few days!..
Gosh. Or was it the resulting big end knock drowned out the noise of the top end rattle Mike? :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: We shall see, there are a variety available that say they have special polimers in to soften rubber seals
but are only available in the states, this one is from the US
maybe its the same one they used to fix the space shuttle seals instead of doing the job proper like and fitting new seals :evil: :shock: :yikes: , you know the famous shuttle that launched then exploded :o #-o :-D :wink:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards, malcolm.

isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I wouldn't say there's anything wrong in using something like this to give a bit of time in order to get a proper repair done when it's convenient. How many times on has something been recommended on here to cure heater matrix leaks? If it does prove to be a permanent fix so much the better. I was very pessimistic about liquid remedies until i used Lube gard in 2 worn automatic gearboxes, 1 for 110,000 miles, signs of wear eliminated. Simon (Mandrake) has had good results with it on his V6 as well.
My local independent (chain of 5) motor factor is selling some gloop to repair failed head gaskets for about £35. With a guarantee to work if the instructions are followed. Naturally I was completely unconvinced this would be any good whatsoever. They claimed last year that they'd sold over 35 so far and only once had it not worked. This was due to the instructions not being followed and when the replacement was used correctly it did.
How on earth something like this works I've no idea but there's clearly been some major advances in chemical repair stuff over the years.
Remember STP?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
falling-out-with-my-car

citronut wrote:
Anyway , if this is on your car with a duff cam then the engine will be coming out anyway so there's the ideal time to do it.
AHaa the engine is staying in the car i hope well the bottom end anyway, I'll be pinching the head off of the spare engine that Xac Has.
anyway its not that gearbox thats leaking.
regards Nigel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: anyway its not that gearbox thats leaking.
regards Nigel
Ok, fair do....

And it was the cold that sealed Challenger’s fate. It hardened the O rings so much they would no longer seal. Took a bit of searching for the cause but famously it was found by Richard Feynman and is the subject of a good yarn that almost as a whiff of conspiracy about it...

Full Story here
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Nigel, it might actually be easier to do a whole engine swap rather than the head, then you could take the gearbox off your old engine and use that to replace the leaking one.
Fitting a new cambelt kit and water pump to the new engine before it's installed in the car would be a damn sight easier too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
falling-out-with-my-car wrote: anyway its not that gearbox thats leaking.
regards Nigel
Ok, fair do....

And it was the cold that sealed Challenger’s fate. It hardened the O rings so much they would no longer seal.
While this is true, I'd point the finger more at NASA's incompetence and mismanagement seeing as they'd known about the design issue with the seals for 9 years before Challenger went bang. Utterly shameful really, and typical of NASA over the years.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

'Fitting a new cambelt kit and water pump to the new engine before it's installed in the car would be a damn sight easier too.

very much so :)
think an engine swap is cheaper and easier than a head off really..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:
citronut wrote:
AHaa the engine is staying in the car i hope well the bottom end anyway, I'll be pinching the head off of the spare engine that Xac Has.
anyway its not that gearbox thats leaking.
regards Nigel
twas not my quote Nigel but Sir Jims :-D :wink:
CitroJim wrote:
Regards, malcolm.

falling-out-with-my-car

thats weired I just clicked Quote above and it coppied what was posted I didnt add your name to it.
Ive got to let the man at the garage do what he needs to do. as regards the engine
why does everybody assume it is my xantia gearbox leaking?????
I wish I hadn't said anything now. and I thouyght I was being moderately helpful.
trying out some gunk and letting someone know if it works or not. #-o

regards
Nigel.