Xantia vs. Lorrey...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

Xantia vs. Lorrey...

Post by Chlorate »

So there I was cruising down the M1 yesterday in Northamptonshire, passing a foreign lorrey (Lithuanian) in the middle lane - who without indicating or checking his blind spots decided to move into the middle lane.

First I know about it is the awful sound of metal on metal as the front corner of the lorrey slammed into my rear corner and sent me sliding sideways across the motorway at 70 and decelerating rapidly in quite heavy traffic.

I was able to regain control of the vehicle before anyone else hit me but it was a little too close for comfort.

The damage seems mainly cosmetic, the N/S rear door still opens and closes (with a good kicking) but will need replacing, the rear quarter panel is dented and scraped but saveable and my nearside rear wheel is a bit scuffed.
I drove into Newport Pagnell services (1 mile down the road) after the event and had the rear of the car up on a stand to check over the structure of the car and rear suspension, thankfully all seems well under there but I will get a 4 wheel alignment check done just to be sure. She still drives as normal and took me the rest of my journey back to Kent without incident.
I'll post a picture when I can procure a camera...

We exchanged details and a number of witnesses gave me their contact details (including a deputy mayor of a local town) however it probably won't do me any good.. The excess on my insurance policy is quite hefty and I'd probably end up paying insurance companies much more than they'd be willing to pay for my car. Tempted to contact the foreign haulage company directly and see if they'd be willing to cover the cost of a repair but I'm not holding out for much.

I'm just glad to still be here, these Xantias seem quite well built!

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
lankytim
My Cars:

Re: Xantia vs. Lorrey...

Post by lankytim »

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'f it's any consolation I think the excess on the other partys insurance will probably be quite high, so ask them for the value of the excess so you don't have to make a claim on your own insurance.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Glad to hear you are still in one piece.

Hope you get the haulage company to pay up. We have to accept foreign vehicles (and I assume LH drive) on our roads, but we shouldn't have to fork out for the deficiencies of LHD vehicles or the incompetence of foreign drivers. Not our fault if they've got blind spots and inadequate mirrors.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Glad to hear you are still OK....the most important thing.

Will the insurance company scrap it do you think ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Almost certainly would if I went down that route. 1998 car with 164k on the clock and a £700 excess to pay.
I'd end up considerably out of pocket, and I'd lose my no claims...Not worth doing.

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Whilst we're here I have a question about replacement doors:

Is there anything structurally different between a door with manual and electric window mechanisms? I haven't checked to see if there's any damage to my window reg yet but if push came to shove I was thinking that if I could find a door which is in the right colour but from a lower trim level I could gut the old door and fit the electrical toys into the replacement.
Would this work?

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Chlorate wrote:Almost certainly would if I went down that route. 1998 car with 164k on the clock and a £700 excess to pay.
I'd end up considerably out of pocket, and I'd lose my no claims...Not worth doing.
On a car that age is anything above 3rd party insurance a waste of money ?

I only have 3rd party fire and theft on my Xantia - 107k miles but its still 15 years old and worth less than £400, I figure that any payout for an accident that's not my fault when you take into account excess is going to cost you more than the car is worth, so why bother...with a car worth so little if it does get written off you take your lumps and buy another one, as long as your insurance will cover damage to other peoples expensive cars if you're in the wrong...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Claim on their insurance, no yours. Your NCB should not be affected but as has been advised, contact the owners directly and propose that they pay directly for the repairs.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:
On a car that age is anything above 3rd party insurance a waste of money ?
In theory, yes, but it's actually cheaper to insure my cars fully comp, so I do.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Chlorate wrote:Whilst we're here I have a question about replacement doors:

Is there anything structurally different between a door with manual and electric window mechanisms? I haven't checked to see if there's any damage to my window reg yet but if push came to shove I was thinking that if I could find a door which is in the right colour but from a lower trim level I could gut the old door and fit the electrical toys into the replacement.
Would this work?
ALL Doors are pressed the same. The electric motor sits exactley where the manual winder is etc.

What colour panels are you looking for? Ive got a Silver Hatch in tomorrow all in good shape except a fight with a lamp post on the front off side...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Excellent, so I just need to find one in the right colour. Unfortunately my car is in scruffy black.

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

OOooooo my favortie colour!

Not got black doors, only silver, green or light blue...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

They look good in black, but it needs a good mopping and a bit of a touch up in places.
Seems like quite an uncommon colour though.

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

myglaren wrote:Claim on their insurance, no yours. Your NCB should not be affected but as has been advised, contact the owners directly and propose that they pay directly for the repairs.
claim off anyones insurance, you have made a claim and that must be declared.. or they tell you you have made a claim at renewal time. If you report you have been in a collision (non fault or not, even if you car is hit when your not in it and you report it without claiming, it will be logged and your policy loaded (still get no claims but the policy will be loaded.

search it on the net, my Son (Alex ) went through a similar thing last year nearly to the day! Lithuanian drove into his side on a roundabout, the police did the driver and the insurance the guilty parties insurers paid out in less than 6 weeks... all well until renewal time, we were told my sons policy is likely to be loaded for the next 5 years and statistically my son is likely to have another collision within the next 18 months..

We only claimed to have the car repaired, no silly feigned injuries, laptop in the boot ETC. we were paid £1700 with the wreckage and the car was CAT C'd it was repaired properly at a Citroen main agent and it still lives with us today.

Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

True it has to be reported Niel.
I had an Accord totalled a bit back. Told my insurers, claimed on the offending party's insurance, cash payment within two weeks and no more hassle.
Drove the car for a year after that, bit of a mess but only cosmetic damage.