406 leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gwangalala

406 leak

Post by Gwangalala »

Recently my 2000 406 has been getting wet/damp in the middle of the rear seats when it's raining.
It doens't only happen when I'm driving but the seats also seem to get wet when the car has just been standing still in the rain.
Does anyone have any idea if this is a common problem on the 406, and maybe have a solution?
Thanks in advance.
Jul
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Sounds like the sunroof drains to me. Lots of posts on methods of detection, using the forum search for "Sunroof Leak Wet" type stuff accross all forums will give you loads to go on.
Mat.
Gwangalala

Post by Gwangalala »

My car doesn't have a sunroof I'm afraid. Do you know of any other common ways the water might be coming in?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Check also to see if the sound-proofing is wet on the floor of the boot. A badly sealed membrane on the doors can allow water to get in the car, as can the rear of the light fittings.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Any sign of wet on the backrests ? Could it be dripping down from the rear window seal ? Got a carphone arial on the back window ?
Gwangalala

Post by Gwangalala »

There's a slight dampness in the middle of the backrests.
I have a carphone arial on the roof near the rear window, but I can't find or see any water or dampness near there.
The water seems to be concentrated in the middle and more to the left (being seated in the back)of the rear seats.
I have noticed today that if I squeeze my hand down between the cushions of the middle cushion and the left cushion, there's a little pool of water under them.
Just still have no idea where the water is coming from...
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Sit in the car, while someone with a high pressure hose sprays the outside at close range, you'll soon find it !
On the basis that water doesn't usually travel upwards, except by capillary action, I would guess it's coming down from the roof. Check under the parcel shelf in the boot for any wetness, and generally give it a thorough checking over.
Is yours one of those that has the rear wiper ( peugeot did offer them as an option on the saloon, didn't they ? ). It's just a question of isolating wet parts, and imagining you were a drop of water !
I would also follow any cabling from the arial, and check the lowest point of that cable for signs of moisture.