Xantia HDI dashboard symbols

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Xantia HDI dashboard symbols

Post by charentejohn »

Hi, anybody know what the one on the far left is, looks like an engine wearing a seat belt ? Xantia HDI 2001.

I don't have a handbook and after the usual rev the living wossname out of it Mot this has now come on. Not there when it went in.
Some puffs of black smoke on the foot off then to the floor test but otherwise ok. Passed the emissions test, hen again I think this may be a valve bounce, con-rod and piston stress test.

End left side of the bottom row of lights and is an engine with a symbol in the middle, looks like a Y on its side with a vertical bar through it.
Reminds me of a transistor symbol so maybe electrics, but what ? I did the time honoured trick of disconnecting the battery for 10 mins but it still refuses to accept this repair :(

I can take it to a garage but the car was fine before the Mot, not a light to be seen, so what could have happened to make it do that, and what can I do to undo it.
Otherwise car drives fine, no signs of distress.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That is what's usually known as the "check engine light". Ideally you should get the car plugged into a Lexia or Diagbox code reader to interrogate for the cause.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HDI dashboard symbols

Post by charentejohn »

I do have a Lexia but it needs a + feed from the car so can't use it. I can try a local garage who are generally happy to test for free, if they get any subsequent work which is only fair.

Just strange that it was after the Mot. What could they have done ? Loosened a connector or wire somewhere on their travels ?
Nice to see if I can just fix it myself as I don't think it is a real fault. If it comes on when driving fine, but messed about in an Mot and suddenly has a fault.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's probably picked up a turbo overpressure when it was revved to the line, or he's managed to get his foot on the brake and throttle at the same time. It may well go off after a few starts if it's a temporary fault (althought the code will remain). If it's otherwise OK, then get it on a Lexia sometime to find out what it's upset about. but unlikely to be urgent.
Richard W
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Hopefully that's all, and sounds likely. Lots of revving even when not on the emissions tester, as long as it is just a bit 'dazed and confused' after it's ordeal I can live with it.
I guess it will eventually figure it is ok and stop displaying the problem, I must get my Lexia working so I can check. I believe the socket on the car has no / or a faulty positive feed (Lexia is ok checked on a C3) luckily a friend who is good with cars is coming to visit and we can figure it out together.

I may be a bit over sensitive but I always feel that most cars I have had take a day or so to settle down after an Mot, while all the bits they levered, wrenched and revved settle back to my sedate driving style.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

charentejohn wrote:I do have a Lexia but it needs a + feed from the car so can't use it.
I don't follow - the diagnostic socket has a 12 volt feed, however as far as I know all the modern Lexia interfaces are powered off the USB port on the laptop - the light on mine comes on before I connect it to the car.

Is yours an older genuine trolley bound Lexia ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: Is yours an older genuine trolley bound Lexia ?
Even those didn't need it Simon, just a shovelful of coal to help raise steam before first use...

The only one that needed an external supply was the original two-pin diagnostic as found on S1 XMs and other cars of the period. Those come complete with a set of leads terminated in croc-clips for connecting direct to the battery as all the sockets are under the bonnet in the ECU box..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: The only one that needed an external supply was the original two-pin diagnostic as found on S1 XMs and other cars of the period. Those come complete with a set of leads terminated in croc-clips for connecting direct to the battery as all the sockets are under the bonnet in the ECU box..
My Lexia came with a cable for the early XM's with the two pin connector and the battery croc-clips as well - although I never really understood why it needs the battery clips when the interface is powered from the USB port on the laptop! :?

Perhaps the data lines have to be referenced to ground and/or 12+ volt, so they're not there to power the interface but to provide the reference... are the pins on the two pin plug data in and out or is one bidirectional data and one earth ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, I can explain that Simon,

Only the computery bits in the dongle are powered from the USB port. The interface between it and the car is powered from the car supply as the signalling voltage and current demands are well in excess of what can be got from a USB port. I'd also expect the use of the car to power the car-side interface also protects the more sensitive computer bits from potential spikes from the car electrical system.

The 30 and 16 pin diagnostic sockets in later PSA vehicles have a permanent and switched 12v supply especially to power the car-facing part of the interface.

In the case of the ELIT the car powers the whole thing either via the diagnostic socket or the croc clip leads.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I will try mine again but did discuss the problem some time ago http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=43573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - no problems as such so didn't pursue the problem with the + feed.
I may have to now though, I think I read that some french cars had the + lead missing from the socket so I will need to remove it to see if that is true.
If missing I guess I can just run a wire from the battery, only works if something connected so no risk. The alternative is to wire into the plug with a flying lead to the battery.
I have the socket with the croc clip leads but obviously not the same as the Xantia socket.