"check engine" light at load ~2000rpm, partner diesel WJY

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fulingbusen

"check engine" light at load ~2000rpm, partner diesel WJY

Post by fulingbusen »

After changing the cam belt the check engine light lights up if I push the gas and put the engine on load around 2000 rpms.  It doesn't come on if i accelerate from scratch, only after deaccelaration and then accelleration again.  

I drained the fuel system, removed the starter and disconnected the battery during the belt exchange.

Any ideas?

Edit: It is a 2004 1.9 diesel WJY engine
fulingbusen

Re: "check engine" light at load ~2000rpm, partner diesel WJ

Post by fulingbusen »

Is there a guide for adjusting the diesel pump or is this done electronically?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its fully electronic advance / retard on that year. Very early ones are mechanical.

There is no "adjustment" really as the pump has a fixed position ie you cannot twist it on the mountings. The timing is set (well sort of) via the belt pulley as it has the three bolts holding it on as you know.

I'd have the codes read to see if you can. Likely candidate may be the needle lift sensor fitted to one of the injectors possibly disturbed when doing the belt. Double check all plugs are OK around the pump though too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
fulingbusen

Post by fulingbusen »

Ok, thank you for the answer. I will try to get the codes then.

The idle was around 1200 before and after the belt exchange, and the engine does sound like a tractor but I have no reference. Maybe this is normal...
fulingbusen

Post by fulingbusen »

Tried my ebay obdII reader that has never failed before and the car had no stored DTC codes. Not even when provoking the car and reading while the check engine light is lit. The light is only lit between 1700 and 2000 rpm and full acceleration in 4th and 5th gear
fulingbusen

Post by fulingbusen »

Since the engine light does light up one of the sensors must notice something unusual. What sensors are present on this engine? Does it measure the advancement somehow? Fuel pressure or injectors?
spider

Post by spider »

Commencement of injection I think its called, the sensor fitted to one of the injectors (probably number three but I'm not 100% sure cannot remember) :)

Then there's the crank sensor (TDC) fitted above the gearbox as well as coolant temp sensor.
Andy.

Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Did you do a BSI reset after reconnecting the battery?
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
fulingbusen

Post by fulingbusen »

No, what is a BSI reset?

What does the commencement of injectors mean? What does it measure on the injector?

I assume that the crank sensor is used for the electronic advance/adjustment of diesel pump.
spider

Post by spider »

BSi Reset (read carefully) > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=40407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 'commencement of injection' ie needle lift is just so the ECU can sense (via the sensor on that injector) when its starting to open/inject ie the 'start' of injection for that cycle. Its used along with the sensor on the acc arm and the TDC sensor to adjust the timing.

If a sensor is missing / bad reading it may run fully advanced which will make it sound very rough.
Andy.

fulingbusen

Post by fulingbusen »

Thank you very much for helping!

If it was one of the sensors that are bad, shouldn't this create a permanent error code? My engine light only lights up during full acceleration in high gears around 2k RPMs and clears itself when I stop or continue to accelerate. This makes me suspect that it it's something to do with the timing. Perhaps the commencement reaches out of range at these RPMs?

The car does sound rough and the idle is at 1200 RPMs but starts without problems.
spider

Post by spider »

It will have stored the code even if the light goes off, it should be readable with Pug Planet which will point to the cause. Not all faults can cause the light to come on (applies to most makes though) :)
Andy.

fulingbusen

Post by fulingbusen »

Ok, is the Peugeot planet available for download or purchase anywhere?

Edit: i just ordered cables and program. Hope to get trouble codes by beg of next week.
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Here's the BSI reset instructions:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?c ... ot_process" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just make sure you post up the results of your diagnostic before spending any money. Its very easy to misinterpret the fault codes.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
ed1808
My Cars:

Post by ed1808 »

hi there if this is the dw8 engine i have just had the same problem with tractor sounds if pump is lucus and the error code is p1106 then its the sensor on the pump easy job a local breakers yard to you will probably have one cant remember what series my engine is other than dw8 lol im old and broken sorry