6 volt dynamo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

French Tickler

6 volt dynamo

Post by French Tickler »

Hi all, I've got a ducillier 6 volt dynamo and want to see if it works, however, it's in a box in bits. I've metered for continuity the armature & the field windings, they're ok. Now the field windings have a wire at each end, the dynamo body has 2 threaded connections, one larger than the other. The brush ring has only one lead from the pos. side of the brush ring. Any ideas which wires go where? :?
BX
My Cars:

Re: 6 volt dynamo

Post by BX »

Right you really want someone to energise their memory banks. Its a long time since I saw a Ducellier 6V dynamo, (1978 0r 1979). There are two coils connected in series as far as I remember. The 2 wires on the field windings were secured by the small terminal and were seperated by insulators. One was earthed onto the case the other was connected to the brass bolt which was the EXC terminal. When correctly assembled there should be 1.5 to 2 Ohms betwen the exc terminal and the case. One of the brushes was earthed to the end plate and the other was connected to the large terminal. To test assemble the dynamo. connect one pole of the battery to the case. Connect the other pole to both the larde and the small terminals. The dynamo should motor at a steady speed. Disconnecting the small terminal from the battery while leaving the large terminal connected should cause the speed to increase substantially. If the field coils are connected in reverse the dynamo will spin in reverse and will not charge when fitted to the vehicle. There is most likely a direction arrow on the case. If Im wrong about the layout them Im wrong. Its a long time since I was last near one of these. the stuff about testing and polarity is true for any dynamo with field coils.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds about right to me - my the nostalgia.

Peter
French Tickler

Post by French Tickler »

=D> thanks BX.