106 Rainwater Leak Advice Asked & Offered

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

106 Rainwater Leak Advice Asked & Offered

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Two things.....

1.... if your front footwell becomes wet, check the plastic stoppers, about an inch diameter; underneath the car, just behind the wheelarches, I've twice found these to be broken and to be the cause of wet front carpets (on 106 and 405).

2.... fixing a rainwater leak into the boot and into the rear light cluster, 'R' reg Mk2. It appeared pretty simple to me, a knackered rubber; but two rubbers later it still leaks
so I changed the whole cluster, which had a long but very slight crack in it.... and that's not done the job either.
Water collects close to that corner of the boot and within the cluster itself, which isn't ideal around electricals, obviously; but I've run out of ideas.
Anyone????
Puxa
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 106 Rainwater Leak Advice Asked & Offered

Post by spider »

Carefully seal the light unit rubber to the body, that may help with (2) , Also check there's not a crack in the lens either. If water is entering the light unit itself, consider changing it again (sorry) or at least its seal, a scrapyard seal may be OK.

(1) The other cause for this more likely if you've had wishbones changed the large bolts fitted into the A pillars footwell area can trap a drain tube sometimes, some people take them out to get the carpet up some just pull it free. The 'easy' fix is to trim about 5mm off the end of the bolt which is what I did. I did not think it but it did work.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

In the past i've found over time that sponge "gasket" between the light cluster and body becomes hard and brittle and that starts letting water in.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks Gibbo and Spider, much obliged.

I've had another look at the spare cluster, and its gotta be that gasket / rubber even though its had three different rubbers on it (and the original had been sealed too by a previous owner). There's simply no route for water to get into the cluster elsewise (ice last winter - had to thaw it before I could pour it out!)

Am gonna try n source a brand new one from the Factors, possibly the main dealer if I really must (that'll be an 'Ouch' moment); and hopefully that'll do it. I'll be picking up a new 'bulb board' at the scrappies next time.

NB: we've an excellent 'old school' scrappies (rare thing in itself these days) down this way (West Berks, South Oxon, South Gloucs borders). Currently he's got about ten or more Mk2 106's in, 3 or 4 405's (surprisingly) and lots of other Pugs. Reply here if you need details.
Puxa