Citroen C3 ABS Light on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony1964
New User

Citroen C3 ABS Light on

Post by tony1964 »

Had a wheel bearing changed on a 2005 C3 1.1 and since then the ABS light has been on when the engine is running.
It makes three beeps when it comes on, not sure what this means?
I have connected it to Lexia 3 and it says it is the front LH sensor, which is the side that had the bearing fitted, it would appear that the diagnostics wont communicate with the ABS ecu.
So I'm starting to think that its the ABS unit?
My question is does anyone have experience of this problem and does anyone have a good working knowledge of Lexia, in particular how to reprogramme
to the car?

Cheers
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen C3 ABS Light on

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is more likely that the sensor was damaged or knocked out of alignment while the bearing was changed. The fact that the Lexia is able to tell which sensor has failed means the ABS ECU is working properly.

Check the sensors on both sides to see how close they are to the reluctor rings (but make sure not to do anything to the RH one!). These are the rings that allow the sensors to read how fast the wheels are turning. If the sensor is too far away from the ring it cannot determine how fast that wheel is turning. I would also take a good look at the sensors to see if the LH one has been damaged.

I would also suggest you take your car back to the place that replaced the bearing and explain the situation to them. Having the ABS light on is a MoT failure.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C3 ABS Light on

Post by wheeler »

How can you get fault codes from it if you cant communicate with the ABS ECU ??
My money is on either the wheel bearing has been fitted the wrong way round, a non ABS bearing has been fitted or the magnetic pickup has been damaged when it was pressed in. The pickup for the wheel speed is part of the wheel bearing & its just a magnetic track rather than 'teeth' on the driveshafts.