c5 2006 hdi 2ltr changed fuel filter, wont start!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

c5 2006 hdi 2ltr changed fuel filter, wont start!

Post by dowen »

Well hear I go again, after the fiasco with the oil filter, now the fuel filter! Just changed it, the car started for about 5 seconds, then cut out, so I squeezed the primer till the carrier was full and the squeezer was solid, opened bleed screw, squeezed again still wont start. I have to keep charging battery as I think the system only allows a certain amount of starts?? any ideas??

Dave.
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Re: c5 2006 hdi 2ltr changed fuel filter, wont start!

Post by Estately »

A very unsettling experience, however it is nothing more than air in the pipe feeding the injectors. The air has come from the fuel filter housing.
If you watch the clear plastic pipe as it goes over the engine on the right (when facing) you will see air bubbles.

We cleared ours after recharging the batterery and squeezing our ball repeatedly while cranking, one person on the key one on the ball.

Just make sure that the two connectors are properly seated on top of the filter (there is a recomendation on the forum to use a little vaseline on the exposed pipe before refitting) and double check the air bleed on top and the leak off pipe at the base of the filter housing - if disturbed (the pipe - not you).
The top of the filter housing has a location point at which it should be located when refitted and tight.

Obviously once running there should ideally be no air in the clear pipe.

Happy cranking.

Andy
If it can happen it will.
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks Andy, I finally got it going ,as you say lot of squeezing and cranking. The to p of the filter gave me some grief, I tightened it real tight and it had gone past the position where the inlet and outlet lined up so I went round another 180 and it sort of clicked, but I was worried about breaking the plastic.
Dave.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

These 2.0 16v diesels can be impossible to bleed, in the workshop we suck the fuel through the green tabbed return pipe with my suction oil machine, as repeated cranking with no fuel can damage the pump.
Start 1st time every time with this method.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami