405 temp warning light

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carlo14
My Cars:

405 temp warning light

Post by carlo14 »

Morning all, could anyone point me in the right direction with this one?

The STOP light and water temperature light come on at random times in my 1995 405 2.0 petrol, usually for a few seconds and then flicker off again. The actual gauge shows a perfect temperature which is stable and the car certainly doesn't overheat. Water level is OK.

I have noticed the two fan system seems to have a mind of its own, with one or both cooling fans coming on at strange times, quite often when the car's stone cold in the morning. The STOP light often seems to coincide with the fan at its loudest.

Is this an issue with some sort of fan sensor, or if so is all this to do with the ECU unit, and much more complex?

Cheers!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 405 temp warning light

Post by Peter.N. »

This will more than likely be a sensor fault, If I remember correctly the sensors are in the thermostat housing, you can isolate the temp gauge sensor by disconnecting the plugs until it doesn't work, one of the others is probably the fan switch so it will likely be the remaining one. If the temperature is reading OK I wouldn't worry about it.

Peter
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I would replace the temp sensor first? There are two,one for the gauge and one for the light and are situated at the back of the cylinder head g/box end.
carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

This all sounds sensible advice.

Even if the temperature's fine I don't suppose it can be doing the fans much good to have to keep coming on for no reason. I actually had to replace both cooling fans recently because they were making such a racket (light coming on before and since this), so possibly they had worn out through over use.
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

This is a very common fault on the 307. New temperature sender unit sorts it.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

206's (later plexed ones) would do this too sometimes, stop light on and temp at full even though it was not even warm never mind hot. The sensor was at fault usually 8v TU units.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG