Synergie, driver's window won't go up!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MPV

Synergie, driver's window won't go up!

Post by MPV »

My driver's side window has decided to stop going up. It began running slow and has now stopped completely. Tooday I took the door internals off. The relay in the door goes and there is power at the motor. The motor was about 100 Ohms initially. I unbolted the motor and then tried running it and the motor could go forwards and backwards a fraction when wiggled around a bit, then stop. I then measured the resistance and it was in the mega Ohm range. The motor can be unbolted, but not removed, it looks like the bracket it bolts to is rivited on. It's really hard to see much of the window inside the door, there seems to be very little access space.

Any ideas on what I should do? Drill out the rivets, put a new motor in? Or will I just burn out another motor?

In the meantime, how do I get the window up before it rains???!!!
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
MPV

Re: Synergie, driver's window won't go up!

Post by MPV »

I managed to get the motor apart and found the commutator very dirty and the brushes worn. I cleaned it up and put it back together and managed to get the window up again, but sometimes it will get stuck and I have to wiggle the motor to get it to move again. I think it needs new brushes in the motor, everything else seems ok as far as I can tell. Has anyone replaced the brushes in one of these before? I don't fancy replacing the whole motor and regulator - removing the rivets etc for the sake of a couple of brushes!
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: Synergie, driver's window won't go up!

Post by Richard_C »

Just occurred to me

Does the drivers window have anti pinch so it stops when it thinks it is obstructed? If so, drag in the channels and mechanism might be enough to convince it to stop. See a similar thread on synergie sunroof. Clean out the channels and try to lube the whole thing, see what happens.

If it's not that, then I guess you could have a go at the brushes but I would be surprised if the window has been operated enough to wear them down significantly. The last time I did brushes was on a VW beetle 6v dynamo, so long ago that an electric soldering iron was an expensive luxury ....

Or maybe the volts are a bit down, poor joints in connectors, stick a voltmeter across and check you are getting enough.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini