xud11 onto xud7's transmission?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

xud11 onto xud7's transmission?

Post by nametooshort »

Dammit. I almost managed to gather everything ready for that conversion to my xud7 305 to put a xud11 into it, but I hit a snag.

I was working on the assumption that XUD7s and XUD11s are basically the same engine, so the XUD11 will fit straight into my engine bay, on my engine mount casting, and on the transmission. However, this assumption (which has been told to me by many French car type people) appears to be dead wrong.

The clutches and flywheels are different from what I can tell.

The transmission from my 305 uses a 200mm, 18-spline clutch.

The xud11 (from XM) uses a 235mm 21-spline clutch.

There does not appear to be anything which uses a 18-spline shaft but a 235mm clutch, so I can't just mix-and-match clutch plates.

The nearest I can find is a DW10 in some vans which uses a 230mm clutch with the 18-spline shaft. It might be possible to just use the DW10 230mm disc in the XUD11 235mm pressure plate/flywheel. I know its not really recommended, but the extra 2.5mm overhang each side shouldn't make that much difference. I seen that done before, cars running clutch discs slightly smaller than their pressure plates, in engine conversions, and it seems to work OK most of the time as long as there is not a massive difference.

I assume I can't just fit the XUD7s flywheel on the XUD11, can I? I assume that since they have such different clutches, they will also have different flywheels, and therefore different ring-gear diameters and therefore different starter motors. Anyone know?

But, this brings the whole thing into question. Obviously the engines are not as similar as people told me they were.

I have not got the two engines in the same place yet, so i can't compare them side by side yet.

Can anybody think of any more snags? Will the XUD11 really fit on the xud7's transmission? Will it really still fit on the xud 7's engine mount casting?

And, anybody know what I can do about the clutch?

I know I can just use the xud11s transmission, but that brings a whole s**t of other problems, it will no doubt have different drive shafts so I will have to mess with shafts and hub sizes and stuff, plus the shifter linkage and clutch linkage.

Might have to resort to using a XUD9td instead (or even xud7td, since they are considered superior to xud9tds?). They have versions with 18mm splines, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just, you know, the number one rule of engine conversions, use the biggest one you can. It would bug me if I can't use a xud11.