When to Drive off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

When to Drive off

Post by xantiagreen »

Hi, Would I cause any damage to the suspension/hydraulics if i was to drive off Straight after the STOP light in red has switched off, only that the car still seems to be going up slighlty from front then rear. Or should i wait for the car to be fully on its ride height before driving regardless if the STOP light is off, only when I drop the kids off at school now I wait a few seconds for the back to go up then drive off, but those few seconds adds you to the back of the que in traffic as most parents will know ( with hydro pneumatic suspension cars, mainly citroen)

Thanks in advance..
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: When to Drive off

Post by Chlorate »

When the STOP light goes out the system is fully pressurised, so there should be no issue.

What could be happening in yours is that the rear hight corrector has become a little bit sticky so is taking a while to wake up.

Is the back end of yours sinking considerably when switched off? (And is it a MK 1 "sinker"?)
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always wait till the suspension on any hydraulic citroen has raised correctly before driving off,
if its dragging its dery air on the ground you risk scraping/damaging your exhaust
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I would get the spheres checked out as surely it shouldn't be dropping that much and losing pressure when your just dropping kids off at school :)
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Chlorate wrote:When the STOP light goes out the system is fully pressurised, so there should be no issue.

What could be happening in yours is that the rear hight corrector has become a little bit sticky so is taking a while to wake up.

Is the back end of yours sinking considerably when switched off? (And is it a MK 1 "sinker"?)

I have the mark 2 xantia 2001 and had all 6 spheres replaced with regassed ones from westroen but still back is just tad low, when you place weight on bootlid car rises to correct height, its about and inch or so low, car as at garage as we speak getting new pads and discs all round (Pagid) and rear height corrector seal kit being fitted, mechanic's going to lube up the cradle and give it some working, don't think he is going to remove it though. All in all £80

Back does sink but its never the same one morning it was ok the next it had come down 3 inches or so, the next day and inch and so on its never the same amount. Im getting some speakers and car seat covers and also trying to get a 3x3 belt fitted in the middle as it only comes with the lap belt.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Chlorate wrote:When the STOP light goes out the system is fully pressurised, so there should be no issue.
Not quite the case. The stop light goes out at about 80-100 bars of system pressure. Full system pressure is 145-170 bars.

On an unladen Xantia it takes around 80-90 bars to lift the rear suspension and 110-120 bars to lift the front suspension, so the system pressure will not rise above 120 bars until after the car has finished lifting.

Therefore the light will tend to go out just as the rear suspension starts rising but before the front starts rising.

The whole point of the anti-sink system is that there is enough suspension height and pressure retained from the last time you drove the car that it is fairly safe to drive as soon as the stop light goes out - the ride height will be lower than normal for a few seconds but it will not be riding on the bump stops.

However if you're not in a hurry or you have heavily loaded the car (which WOULD put it down on the bump stops) then I'd wait for it to finish lifting.

The stop warning light is more there to warn you that you may not have enough pressure to operate the brakes - 80-100 bars is considered (by the warning light) to be the minimum safe pressure for the front brakes.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »